IGNORED

1ST GEN finding short

mikesmold

Battery goes dead in about a week of no use (rain). I was told to put a fluke meter in between the ground wire and neg post and start pulling fuses. Battery reads 12.3 volts across the post and 11.5 with the fluke meter between the ground wire and the post.No change with pulling the fuses.(switch off position) NEED HELP Mike

Use a test light, instead of the Fluke. If there is a draw, it will light. Pull fuses until the light goes out, then you'll know which circuit it is. Not a perfect test, but usually points you in the right direction.

Using the Fluke, you are just measuring the voltage drop between the 2 points, which should be full battery voltage, as it's an open.

Use a test light, instead of the Fluke. If there is a draw, it will light. Pull fuses until the light goes out, then you'll know which circuit it is. Not a perfect test, but usually points you in the right direction.

Using the Fluke, you are just measuring the voltage drop between the 2 points, which should be full battery voltage, as it's an open.

:sign yeah that:Worked for me......:happy34:

Battery goes dead in about a week of no use (rain). I was told to put a fluke meter in between the ground wire and neg post and start pulling fuses. Battery reads 12.3 volts across the post and 11.5 with the fluke meter between the ground wire and the post.No change with pulling the fuses.(switch off position) NEED HELP Mike

Improper to read volts with meter in series, ie between bat neg and neg lead, although this is the proper setup for reading current(amps). Place fluke black lead on bat neg post, and fluke red lead on neg battery cable (disconnected from battery). Some meter also require red lest lead in different AMP port. Start with meter on highest amp setting (20A). Then work down your amp scales until you have a reading that does not exceed the scale you are on. Most meter have a fuse in the amp section and it is easy to blow if you exceed rating. If fuse blows, amp reading will be zero( same as if everything was good with no current draw-and you will not be able to tell the difference. To test short leads accross AA flashlight battery. If meter good should show 2-3 amps.

If meter good, and zero amps or milliamps, then you do not have a current drain.-Likely internal short in battery-replace battery.

If you have any kind of amp reading, then start pulling fuses until reading drops to zero to isolate draining circuit.

Bst guess is you will see amps in the 40A main fuse. If so I would disconnect plug from voltage rectifier, as in my mind rectifier or alternator are most likely. There are many circuit accross 40a main fuse, and they will have to be tracked down seperately

Come back with results:080402gudl_prv: