IGNORED

Attn dirt bikers

Condor

My grandson picked up a Kawi 1980 kd80 non-runer. Kinda proud of him as it now screams like a banchee. The question I have is.... it's a 2-cycle with an oil reserve crankcase like a 4-cycle... does it need a gas/oil mix, or use straight gas?? All my experience with 2-cycles deals with a mix engine...

KD80? not a KX or KDX? I always mix it in the tank. 4 ounces oil/gallon, which is 32:1. On one with a separate tank, I would empty the oil tank, and mix it in the gas tank. Safer that way, in case something goes wrong with the oil injection part.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW, I have an owners manual for the small KX/KDX bikes. If that's what he has, he's more than welcome to it. We don't have the bikes anymore.

It a KD 80 Monte. Here's a pic of a sistership bike.

Thanks for the info, and I'll take you up on that offer for the manual. LMK what the mailing cost is. What I'm having trouble with is in a mix engine, the oil is in there to lube the bottom end. The fuel actually enters the engine via the bottom end and then goes into the cylinder. On this thing it's carburated directly thru the reed into the cylinder. It doesn't lube a thing. That's why the first question. I don't want to burn anything up, but my brain is telling me that there is no need for oil in the gas.

http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2009/11/13/bikepics-1828803-800.jpg

Don't exactly know a lot about the early KAWs...just like Monty said...most of the oil injections usually fail over time.

Don't forget to make sure there is motor oil (not 2 stroke mix oil) in the tranny for the clutches

Hope you get all the issues worked out...the kid will have a blast on that bike

The way a two-stroke works is...

When the piston moves down, fuel/oil mix is drawn into the combustion chamber from the crankcase.

When the piston moves up, fuel/oil mix is drawn into the crankcase from the carb. to lube the crank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-cycle

So, on a two-stroke, you need oil/gas mix in the tank, and regular oil in the transmission.

The way a two-stroke works is...

When the piston moves down, fuel/oil mix is drawn into the combustion chamber from the crankcase.

When the piston moves up, fuel/oil mix is drawn into the crankcase from the carb. to lube the crank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-cycle

So, on a two-stroke, you need oil/gas mix in the tank, and regular oil in the transmission.

Not on this one Monte. The fuel is drawn directly into the cylinder thru the carb via a double reed valve thru a lower intake port which is exposed when the piston approaches BDC.. . The motor also has an oil pump. Why does it need an oil pump if the bottom end oil is only there as a bath to take care of the tranny and clutch???

EDIT... OK I read the wiki article on 2 strokes. The double reed makes sense in the moving picture. And apparently this thing may have an oil injected fuel system. AKA oil pump... There is a section that covers that kind of system. I had a Johnson 115hp VRO outboard once and even tho a lot of owners disconnected the oil injection, I didn't and it never failed me for a lot of years. I'm going to dig into this thing a little more to find out if this one has been removed or is still running. All I know at the present time it sure runs great with straight gas, but the exhaust tip is covered in oil.... Thanks for all the input.

Edited by Condor

It works exactly the way I told you. The only difference with your is, that you have a separate oil tank, and the oil pump injects it into the fuel to mix it before it enters the crankcase. http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1980-kawasaki-motorcycle-kd80-kd80m1-us/o/m3494

I would skip the oil tank, and just mix it in the gas tank, just in case that oil pump ever fails.

Just like any two-stroke, the oil/fuel mix is drawn in thru the reed valve, and goes to the crankcase.

I would skip the oil tank, and just mix it in the gas tank, just in case that oil pump ever fails. Just like any two-stroke, the oil/fuel mix is drawn in thru the reed valve, and goes to the crankcase.

Know where that oil tank is located??

• 2 weeks later...
My first 2 road bikes were 2 strokes and I rode them a lot of miles. Never had a problem with the oil injection systems. Sure a lot easier than mixing.

He now has no choice. A previous owner removed the injection system.... 32:1 time.. :)

He now has no choice. A previous owner removed the injection system.... 32:1 time.. :)

If you use a good synthetic 2 stroke oil you can go 40:1 no problem. We ran 40:1 in my son's YZ85, YZ125 and my Husqvarna 125 for years. And I ran 50:1 in my KTM 250 no issues.