IGNORED

Head swap??? 84 to 86

Finally got income coming in so I can come back to a home away from home for my 86 Venture Royale!!! YAY!! :banana:

However, I have a question about swapping heads. Will a head from an 84 fit and work on an 86?

Last fall, everything was running great. Then I had a small backfire while starting the bike and I lost HALF my power. After doing a Leakdown test and Compression test, it seems I need a valve job. HOWEVER, I have a good head that was given to me off an 84. All the measurements are within specs. I just need to know if they will swap or do i need to do the valve job on the 86 and put it back on the bike? :think:

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. I NEED to get back on the bike. I feel a part of me is missing.

Thanks!!!!

Merlin B

Westminster, CO

:bang head:

PS I forgot to say the 1984 is a 1200 CC and the 1986 is a 1300 CC. Thank MIGHT be important

Edited by Ohedron42
Forgot some info

The only real difference between the 1200 and 1300 engines is the cylinder bore (76mm vs 79mm). A simple check of the 1984 head should tell you if it will work with the larger bore. Is there enough material around the edge of the "dome" for a good seal? If so, I would guess the '84 head will work on the '86 engine.