IGNORED

First solo & to vegas

Santa Hal

:Venture: May 15th and hoping to arrive May 18th, I am going for my first Long Distance Solo ride from Houston to Vegas. I am playing in a big pool tournament. I'm going I10 to Fort Stockton, then taking 285 North towards Roswell, New Mexico. Going North from Rosewell to Albuquerque, NM. Then taking Hwy 40 on in to Las Vegas.

If anyone has any information that that they think I need to take with me or any ideas about my trip, please let me know. I am pulling a trailer as I will be camping a long the way so I have camping supplies, tools & a bit of gas.

I could use all the advise I could get. :thumbsup2:

Thanks, Hal

PS have 15 days off and I will be doing some site seeing on the way home to houston. (ie; Grand Canyon, 4 corners, and where ever else) :dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

If you jump off at Exit 48 in Kingman, AZ take Route 93 into Vegas. You will get to see the new bridge being built at the Hoover Dam. Unbelievable.

http://scienceray.com/technology/engineering/the-incredible-hoover-dam-bypass-bridge-under-construction/

We have a Trailer we keep year around in Chloride, AZ. Western RV Park. Ron and Carol run it. Nice people. Have a dry camp area with access to showers and laundry facilities.

http://www.chlorideaz.com/

Ride safe.

hh

If you jump off at Exit 48 in Kingman, AZ take Route 93 into Vegas. You will get to see the new bridge being built at the Hoover Dam. Unbelievable.

http://scienceray.com/technology/engineering/the-incredible-hoover-dam-bypass-bridge-under-construction/

We have a Trailer we keep year around in Chloride, AZ. Western RV Park. Ron and Carol run it. Nice people. Have a dry camp area with access to showers and laundry facilities.

Ride safe.

hh

you are kidding , i used to own the ice cream shop in Chloride back in 86 !

you are kidding , i used to own the ice cream shop in Chloride back in 86 !

We keep a 29 footer there all year long. 4100 foot elevation is better than 500 in the summer.

Small world huh?

hh

:Venture: May 15th and hoping to arrive May 18th, I am going for my first Long Distance Solo ride from Houston to Vegas. I am playing in a big pool tournament. I'm going I10 to Fort Stockton, then taking 285 North towards Roswell, New Mexico. Going North from Rosewell to Albuquerque, NM. Then taking Hwy 40 on in to Las Vegas.

If anyone has any information that that they think I need to take with me or any ideas about my trip, please let me know. I am pulling a trailer as I will be camping a long the way so I have camping supplies, tools & a bit of gas.

Thanks, Hal

PS have 15 days off and I will be doing some site seeing on the way home to houston. (ie; Grand Canyon, 4 corners, and where ever else) :dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

I'll be leaving on the 15th , meeting Tom at Hondo than 1st nite at Marfa than to Zion nat.park

We keep a 29 footer there all year long. 4100 foot elevation is better than 500 in the summer.

Small world huh?

hh

very small used to go up to Windy Point than come down the hard way . i see the paintings have got better !

Yeah my Dad was a Head Super that built that Dam.

Ride safe.

hh

Thanks, Hal

Hey Hal, I am incredibly jealous. You have the potential for a trip with memories to last a lifetime.

If you haven't done it, review the Iron Butt Association's Archive of Wisdom. The compilation of the IBA's hard-won experience is very valuable.

If you want them, I have a pair if MSR fuel bottles you can borrow. A half gallon of fuel may not get you far, but if you run out, it may get you far enough. Let me know.

Print the member assistance list!

Have fun and ride safe. :)

Dave

Good Morning fellow Ventures,

I hope I have put this posting in the right place. Wanted to give you all an update.

Hal is on his way to Vegas. He left yesterday morning @ 9:00AM. He wanted to leave earlier however the rain held him back. He made it to Carlsbad last night and he is back on his way again. He was on the road @ 8:30 our time, 7:30 his time. He is enjoying his ride.

Looks like my trip to Europe is going to be canceled or delayed due to the volcano. I had a feeling this might happen.

Well, I will try to keep up a posting as his trips gets closer to vegas.

Val :97:

Thanks for the update Val !!!

Good Morning fellow Ventures,

I hope I have put this posting in the right place. Wanted to give you all an update.

Hal is on his way to Vegas. He left yesterday morning @ 9:00AM. He wanted to leave earlier however the rain held him back. He made it to Carlsbad last night and he is back on his way again. He was on the road @ 8:30 our time, 7:30 his time. He is enjoying his ride.

Looks like my trip to Europe is going to be canceled or delayed due to the volcano. I had a feeling this might happen.

Well, I will try to keep up a posting as his trips gets closer to vegas.

Val :97:

• 2 weeks later...

Well made it back to Vegas good riding there. Not so good on the way back. First two days on the way back had cross winds to 30 to 40 miles an hour gusts. It was very hard to stay in your own lane. Trailer pulled real well, didn't even know it was there. Had two problems with the bike. First problem was that wind was so strong that the wind turned my running lights to the right and it shorted them out and blew a fuse. Second problem for some reason when you are cruising and you start to go all of the buttons on the radio don't work. The only control I had is the volume knob. I gues you would call that froze. It still plays. I found out that if you pull in the clutch and shut the key off and let the motor die then you can change the station or do whatever you want to with the radio then let clutch out then keep on going.

Does anyone have any answers or help for my radio problems? I would like to fix this myself and not send it to the shop.

Thanks,

Hal :12101:

Hal, glad you made it home with out any major problems... if you ride it out monday, we can take a look at it, sounds like there is a short in the stearing head where all the wires pass through, or the head unit is junk.....

Well made it back to Vegas good riding there. Not so good on the way back. First two days on the way back had cross winds to 30 to 40 miles an hour gusts. It was very hard to stay in your own lane. Trailer pulled real well, didn't even know it was there. Had two problems with the bike. First problem was that wind was so strong that the wind turned my running lights to the right and it shorted them out and blew a fuse. Second problem for some reason when you are cruising and you start to go all of the buttons on the radio don't work. The only control I had is the volume knob. I gues you would call that froze. It still plays. I found out that if you pull in the clutch and shut the key off and let the motor die then you can change the station or do whatever you want to with the radio then let clutch out then keep on going.

Does anyone have any answers or help for my radio problems? I would like to fix this myself and not send it to the shop.

Thanks,

Hal :12101:

Hal,

We're glad you had a good trip. Bummer about the wind.

If you had the CB on, that's prolly the culprit. If you leave the CB on and turn the bike off, sometimes when you restart it, the radio will freeze. Nothing works right except the volume. It's a pain, but if you learn to turn off the CB before you shut off the ignition, that should keep things working.

dang it...I was gonna get the Hammer out!!! Thanks Ponch!!:duck:

Hal,

We're glad you had a good trip. Bummer about the wind.

If you had the CB on, that's prolly the culprit. If you leave the CB on and turn the bike off, sometimes when you restart it, the radio will freeze. Nothing works right except the volume. It's a pain, but if you learn to turn off the CB before you shut off the ignition, that should keep things working.