Need help, what is the best way to get to the fuel filter, seems like they built the bike around it. Thanks for all the info. I have gotten on this site. Just greased driveshaft splines they were dry as a bone,never had to do thst on anyother bike I have had.

Need help, what is the best way to get to the fuel filter, seems like they built the bike around it. Thanks for all the info. I have gotten on this site. Just greased driveshaft splines they were dry as a bone,never had to do thst on anyother bike I have had.

I have huge hands and the fuel filter is in a nasty tight little space..

If I remember correctly, you take your left side cover off, unbolt the fuel pump, (blur memory) look head of the battery, there is a panel to remove.. I shove my hands in a far as I can get and man handle it out of the spot, change the filter and shove it back in. What helps for me is that I used to be a helicopter mechanic and used to do a lot of 'blind' work where you couldn't not see what your hands were doing because Sikorsky thought it would be a funny joke to suspend a component by a string and build a helo around it.. much like what yamaha did with the fuel filter.

What also helps a lot is to shut off your fuel valve and disconnect the hose to drain the fuel line a bit.. When you manage to pull the fuel filter up out of the hole they put it in, you should enough free play to change the hoses.. (Caution, clean the hoses before pulling them off otherwise you risk contaminating your fuel system)..

Once you've done it once.. it's not as bad as having done it the first time.. lol..

My friends get me to change their filters because I am not shy about it and prefer to go through the hassles of changing their filters than to go pick them up on the side the road with a clogged one.. ;)