IGNORED

Use of Military Trasient Accomodation

Guest Slab_Ryder

Guest Slab_Ryder

Greetings all

A Riding buddy and I are headed for points South from Halifax Canada, down to Key West and meander inland and north for a few weeks in mid May / June. Up til 2000, as a cager, I had used Military Transient Accommodation extensively throughout the US and Europe as a way to keep traveling costs down. Facilities were always clean and very adequate. Does anyone know if Post 9/11, if the bases still allow the uses of facilities such as these, by retired Service Members?

If you have a retired ID card, a current base decal on your bike and applicable Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), you should have no problem accessing the bases and Space Available rooms are a GREAT deal, IF you can get them.

Look at bigger bases and don't forget to check both the enlisted and officer barracks for rooms... it helped me a time or two.

I know the US Navy (and therefore the Marine Corps) requires a MSF safety course every two years to get a decal. IIRC it is covered in OPNAVINST 5100.12H CH-1 of 7 March 2008 available from the US Navy Safety Center HERE.

READ it for the list of PPE covered in section 23 starting on page 22 you will need to ride onbase and note the vest required after dusk.

You should check with the other services safety centers for applicable instructions.

Accomodations are available to anyone who has an ID card on Space Available basis.

The AF requires you to have boots, gloves, long pants, long sleaved shirt or jacket, and eye protection (a wind shield is not usually good enough). Be sure to have your reflective vest with you, some bases require it all the time, others only after sundown. Depends on the Base.

BTW check out the BX or Clothing Sales store if you have access. They sell a book geared toward the RV crowd which lists every military base in the world, provides maps, lists facilities available, rates and provides POC numbers to call for information. Most will not take reservations, but some will if you know when you will be in the area.

This is a great way to stay if you can coordinate your trip with Base locations.

Happy traveling.

I use it quite a bit. Most installations wil let you reserve 30 days out but not any longer. They like to make sure they have rooms for traviling active duty. I stayed at MCRD just last week. Fort Hood a Month or so ago. Fort Leonard Wood back a ways. All were clean comfortable rooms at a price you can't get off base. Last week stayed for 2 nights 2 people 54 dollars. Hampton Inn on the interstate was 124.00 a night single.

I ain't no mathamaticsatician, but i think I got a good deal.:thumbsup:

Ditto on riding gear. The reservation desk should be able to give you the dope.

Edited by Herb In Texas
added PPE

Any questions about PPE (ie gloves, vest, etc.) can also be directed toward the PMO or Provost Marshall's Office.

If you're transiting Interstate 81, I love to stay at Fort Indiantown Gap just north of Hershey Pennsylvania. Ask for Area Six, $25 a night for a room with a single bed comparable to a Motel 6. Basic cable, Internet, fridge.

If you have a retired ID card, a current base decal on your bike and applicable Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), you should have no problem accessing the bases and Space Available rooms are a GREAT deal, IF you can get them.

Look at bigger bases and don't forget to check both the enlisted and officer barracks for rooms... it helped me a time or two.

I know the US Navy (and therefore the Marine Corps) requires a MSF safety course every two years to get a decal. IIRC it is covered in OPNAVINST 5100.12H CH-1 of 7 March 2008 available from the US Navy Safety Center HERE.

READ it for the list of PPE covered in section 23 starting on page 22 you will need to ride onbase and note the vest required after dusk.

You should check with the other services safety centers for applicable instructions.

As a MP i need to tell you that PPE is reqired at all times on a military post vest boots gloves helmet ect just my .02 Ron

As a MP i need to tell you that PPE is reqired at all times on a military post vest boots gloves helmet ect just my .02 Ron

The US Navy regulation does not require a reflective vest during daylight hours. There is a link to it in my post above.

Army, Air Force and Coast Guard regulations might vary.......