Was starting bike for the first time and it roared right up. Was going to put it on a couple blocks so I could get a jack underneath to change tire and it flat out died. Nothing. I had taken the saddlebags off and had the wires hanging from the amp and figured I had shorted out a fuse when it died. I mean dead, nothing turns on at all. Checked the fuses and their fine. Any suggestions for my 05RSTD? God Bless. Mike

Guest human4m

When you say "Died" do you mean nothing electrical is working at all? No dummy lights, no fuel pump, nothing at all? Or the engine just won't turn over?

The first thing I'd do is clean the battery terminals (both ends!) and double-check the fuses with a fuse tester. :stickpoke:

Guest human4m

My main fuse is under the left-side cover, right next to the fuel pump, behind the passenger foot rest. I put my money on it being blown. Not sure if it's the same on yours or not. That'd be the one to check. If it's good, then the next step is the ignition switch. I remember reading on here somewhere about the ignition switches going quirky, but I still vote main fuse.

Edited by human4m

Guest human4m

No, there's a separate MAIN FUSE. You have to take off the left passenger floorboard to get to it. I tried to call you at the contact # in your profile, but got no answer.

Edited by human4m

• 2 weeks later...

Son still is gun shy to take his written test after failing it twice. Lady at the registry even offered to draw him pictures if neccesary to help but no go. Appreciate the offer and one day I will take you up on it. Gonna visit the Grand Canyon one of these days lol. God Bless. Mike

• 3 months later...
No, there's a separate MAIN FUSE. You have to take off the left passenger floorboard to get to it. I tried to call you at the contact # in your profile, but got no answer.

I spent an hour trying to find that fuse. I knew it had to be the main fuse but couldn't find it even with a diagram (sort of) in the maintenance manual. Thanks for your post.

BTW, the fuse appears to have blown after I left the ignition on all night and drained the battery. Does that make any sense? After realizing the battery was dead, I disconnected the positive terminal and put my little charger on the battery for a couple of hours. After the battery charged to 12+ volts I reconnected and got nothing when i turned on the ignition switch, totally dead. I then tried jumper cables and still dead. After that I knew it must be a blown main fuse and eventually found the main fuse after reading the quoted post. Replaced with spare and she cranked a little slow but started right up. Now everything looks good just confused about how main fuse blew. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Howard