IGNORED

TomTom XL325SE

Sideoftheroad

Bought this as part of Black Friday from Walmart.com for the wife's car. Consumer reports gave good remarks for the 330S. User reviews were just the opposite and the tomtom forum there are some folks that bought the same model from walmart. Seems as long as you don't update it, you are fine but as soon as you update the maps or add anything like voices the unit goes south. Freezes on the splash screen and what not.

Also rechecked the walmart.com return policy. Returnable in 15 days, but they will not refund the taxes I paid. Grrrrrr.

Gees I haven't gotten this in my hands yet and I am already having buyers remorse.

Edited by Sideoftheroad

be wary of some user review web sites. Mostly the only people who post are those having problems, those who don't have problems are busy doing other things.

:sign yeah that:

If anything, use the cnet.com, consumer reports, etc. reviews as a rule of thumb and really, for the most part, I have yet to find a good chunk of 'user' reviews that I actually agree with... at all.

This includes hotel visits, a computer, tools, software, cell phone(s), etc.

I wouldn't worry about it. Try it out and if you dont' like it - return it... So what if you are out a few bucks on the sales tax? You are MUCH better off being out a few bucks for the tax than being 'stuck' with a product you don't like and in essence being out whatever you spent on it.

Or, depending on the deal you got on it, you could always e-bay it.

Monty Python's song about looking on bright side of life comes to mind.

You have a good point. Out a little or out alot.

Just don't understand why they wouldn't refund the taxes just because I bought it online. I paid taxes. If I bought it at the store I would have to pay taxes and would expect a full refund.

It also said they won't refund shipping. Well it was only $.97, so not gonna complain about that.

Monty Python's song about looking on bright side of life comes to mind.

You have a good point. Out a little or out alot.

Just don't understand why they wouldn't refund the taxes just because I bought it online. I paid taxes. If I bought it at the store I would have to pay taxes and would expect a full refund.

It also said they won't refund shipping. Well it was only $.97, so not gonna complain about that.

I agree about the taxes thing - that is kindof wierd. It must have to do with a 'reasonable' way to deal with the item being shipped to one state and returned in another; as a matter of book-keeping.

By the way, thanks for that Monty Python reference; that gave me a good laugh. Been a long time since I've seen that :happy34:

Glad I could give you a laugh. The whole gang (except for 1) was on Jimmy Kimmel not long ago. Oldest brother got me into M.P. They are hilarious. And Eric Idle did sing that song at the end of Jimmy's show. We have Life of Brian in VHS.

Well the whole ordeal is over and I am w/out a GPS (guess worse things could happen LOL). Had it 3 days and worked for about an hour. I did connect it to the Tom Tom software, but didn't do any updates to it. I did change the car icon and turned off the reminder to not leave it in the car. Lo and behold, it stopped working. Tried 4 recommended fixes and nothing worked.

Just got back from Wal-Mart and the lady was like, here is your refund. I asked her if I could exchange it. All she said was they have been getting alot of returns on that model. For something that went on sale for less than a week and for someone who works nights to say that, says alot to me. You would think the majority of returns would happen during the day, but apparently there is enough at night too for her to notice it.

She also said I could go back to the electronics section and buy another one. Hmmmmm. I don't think so. Now the price is higher.

She actually refunded everything but $1.37. Well there was $.97 shipping so not sure why they kept $.40 (I need to start a facebook page to bring back the cent symbol. lol). I ain't gonna complain though.

So in this case, user reviews wins and Consumer Reports is out. Guess they didn't connect it to a computer. :-)

so I am gonna start another thread about some older garmin models I am interested in.