IGNORED

Anyone have a 1980's Suzuki GS450?

GG54172

I picked up a 1985 GS 450 for a really good price. Only problem is, most of the bike came in one of two boxes. The engine wasn't even in the frame. I have the engine back in, and the suspension back on, but I am having a hard time routing the wires properly through the frame. I have a wiring diagram, but not a routing diagram. If anyone out there has one of these bikes, I would really appreciate if you emailed me. I would like to get some digital photographs of the wire routing, so you would have to be ok with removing the seat and gas tank. If not, no biggie, it just will take longer to get it right. At this rate, I figure I will be done in time for snow to start sticking to the ground... :)

www.thegsresources.com

Lots of good help there.

+1 to this.

I have a 78 GS750. I know that the majority of the GS series bikes are setup pretty close to the same (at least in that year region) so if you cannot/do not find anyone else to help you out and you want me to take some pictures or whatever, just let me know; I'll do what I can.

Good luck!

Guest tx2sturgis
+1 to this.

I have a 78 GS750.

I used to have a GS750E...a 1980 model. Yep..the square headlight model..and blue, just like on the brochure on this page:

http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/GS750E_brochures.shtml

And this pic:

http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic_bikes/GS750E.jpg

I went into the dealer in 1980 actually to look at the GS450, but decided it was not much more money to get the much bigger GS750.

It was my first 'large' street bike...I added a windshield and a luggage rack. Rode it for 20,000 miles in about 2.5 years and then ended up driving a truck OTR for a living and the poor bike sat in storage in San Antonio and started to slowly rust away. I hated the dang chain drive anyway. Shortly after I bought the bike, I wished I had spent a bit more and bought the GS850 that was a shaft drive bike.

Years later, the bike in severe disrepair, I gave it to a buddy who was able to replace all the rusted and worn parts, and completely disassemble and clean the carb rack, get it running again, and then sell it. I wonder where it is now?

Had a lot of good rides on that bike. Even a few out of town trips...really whet my appetite for touring on a motorcycle. Well, the rest is history.

There's a guy in Akron, Ohio (Akron Suzuki Works) I think his name is John Wilson. He's not a dealer, but he does restorations on 80s vintage GS Suzuki's. I haven't dealt with him personally, but he might be willing to share some info. or maybe shoot you a copy of a drawing or something. I was thinking hard about a GS1100L he sold on Ebay a few months ago, but couldn't work out all the details on my end. (like convincing my wife I needed a third bike) His number is 330 958-1825, if you want to contact him. (I got the number from the Ebay ad)