IGNORED

Rain

dunvilsteev

:rain2: :rain2: :rain2: :rain2:

Now that it looks like the bike season is drawing to a close for us unfortunate northerners, and we have got to admit that this was one WET year....

I was wondering, what is the furtherest you have HAD to ride in the rain?

Myself, before my Venture I had a VStar, I had gone on a trip and was on Manitoulin Island in a flyspeck of a town called Little Current, in a motel room the size of my garden shed (for the mere sum of $70!!) with the rain pouring and the Weather Channel saying rain for the next 2 days, unless you are south of Parry Sound. I might also add that 8 hours previous the Weather Channel had said sunny with cloudy breaks grrrrr! So I had no rain gear, but I threw on the leather jacket, said screw it and rode south. Went over a plank bridge with potholes that you could see the water below through, and it was slick as ice. No questions as to my heart working! After 6 hours, trucks up my arse, freezing so bad I went into full body shivers, pulling over to pour out my boots, hands and feet turning into white raisins, just not having fun!!! I arrived in Parry Sound for their freaking Music Festival (Who knew?) with all the motel rooms filled, except for the $150 per night, high end, over priced Days Inn. Spent the evening in the local laundromat watching my clothes spin in the dryer.

So about 6 hours and about 300 miles for me, felt like an eternity.

Other than that did you have fun? :confused07:

Sorry to hear about your mis-ad-Venture but I think everyone has done something like that to remember years later. I am sure we all asked ourselves what was I thinking. Now that you have your misadventure out of the way there is nothing but blue skies in your future. .......I hope!

Glade your safe and sound and not so cold.

Bubber

On our way back from Florida this summer we had to do about 280 miles in a constant (sometimes blinding hard) rain. The bike handled great and with all the fairing I stayed relatively dry. Luckily my wife was driving a truck home that our son had bought on the internet so she was able to stay dry.

Funny how that works.. This year in fact on the way home from the International. Last day of the journey we left Coldwater Michigan at 8:30 am in a downpour that didn't stop all the way home (I think it followed us). Riding 2 up with a trailer. Home (Caledonia Ontario) was in sight by 5:30 pm. Twas a long day but we were dressed for it and only had to stop a couple of times because it was raining too hard to see where we were going. These sorts of things just give you more to talk about and make the trips more "interesting"

Wayne

On the trip I just completed in September, In the 25 days have short showers for 6 days lasting approximately 1hr each, then 4 full days of solid rain. The longest day only traveled 440 miles from Maryville NC to Topsail Beach NC through the Blue Ridge Mtns.

The worst rain I've been in was in 1981, left Key West FL and road north to Washington DC for a rally, rained all the way, riding back roads along the east coast for 3 days. On that same trip left DC and road to Bolixi MS and had beautiful weather through Sky LIne Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway and road every mile. Arriving in Bolixi I had 2 days of beautiful weather to spend time with family. This was in early September and the morning I left Bolixi a storm had moved in (huricane season). It was raining hard and the roads had an inch or so of water. I traveled west along the coast hoping to out ride it, but no luck. I was in a hard down pour as the storm had blanketed the country from Florida to Arziona and the Gulf Coast and as far north as Oklomaha. I knew i wasn't going to out run the storm or ride out of it on my way back to Albuquerque, so I rode straight through from Bolixi MS to Albuquerque NM 1700 miles in 32 hours. It rained hard and steady the whole time, as I pulled up the my house and unloaded the bike approximately 7pm that night, the rain turned to a very light drizzle and then quit. After that rain we did not have any moister until Thanksgiving weeked when it snowed 6 inches.

I was was 29 at the time and had been riding since I was 17 so I thought I was bullet proof. That ride in the rain changed me for ever, I now will ride in the rain during the day and early evening, but no more at night. I usually camp on my extended trips and have found self serv car washes, bank drive up over hangs, and the backs of u-hauls a great place to stay dry.

I knew i wasn't going to out run the storm or ride out of it on my way back to Albuquerque, so I rode straight through from Bolixi MS to Albuquerque NM 1700 miles in 32 hours. It rained hard and steady the whole time,

....And the "Noah Trophy" goes to Shamue, King of the Puddle ... 32 hours yikes!!