IGNORED

Oil Friction Modifiers

Black Owl

It did not run long , maybe 4 minutes . It still had a bit of oil in it ( filter was not changed. It should be clean alright!! ..

As to the extra spring, what kind of job is that? Would the exhaust have to come off?

Thanks

Sam

No the exhaust does not have to come off if you have a ball allen wrench for the bolts. Remove the cover , nothing will fall out, remove 6 bolts that hold the spring in place ( REPLACE the 6 Bolts with new ones)That is a must. Install bolt springs tighten all 6 bolt s up per specs and but the cover back on with new gasket if you want or use some black silicone.

Some oil might come out but if the bike is on the side stand it should just be very little. Thats it.

About a 1 hour if you never have worked on a bike before, very easy and that would take care of your slipping clutch.

:080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv:

Bikenut

The Energy Conserving oils are the ones with the extra friction modifiers that are said to be bad on clutches. Energy Conserving rating only applies to 10-30 and thinner - I'm pretty sure that 10-40 does not have the rating. I know that 20-50, mono grades like 30 or 40 and diesel 15-40 are not Energy Conserving and don't have the harmful friction modifiers. Synthetics are another subject and have a debate of their own!

I've replaced the clutches in my Virago and Venture, both around the 50-60k mile mark, both because of slippage, and measured both to have every single part in spec, including the springs and friction discs. In both cases, all I replaced were the friction discs, and in both cases the slippage was cured. The Virago now has 130k miles with no slippage. I've had other issues, but no slippage! Both were purchased used with 45K or so on them, so maybe they were both run with some kind of no-no in the oil. :confused24:

Jeremy

Gearhead

So am I to understand that ALL oils under 30 weight have the modifiers wether they are Motorcycle oils , diesel oils etc.?

Oil IS a friction modifier!!!!! As long as the additives to the oil do not turn it into an "Enregy Conserving" oil it should be OK for wet clutchs. Stop over thinking it.

Guest KitCarson

Hey been watching this thread for a week.....:big-grin-emoticon:. Several weeks ago I went to a Yamaha shop, to have them take Cricket for a ride.......I looked at every bottle of oil in the shop.......No.......none.....not one......none...of the MC specific oils have the energy conserving label on the bottle. Today I went to a new Super Walmart......again looked at every bottle and brand of oil in the place. All car oils including mobile one....10w30 and thinner.......have the energy conserving label........I did see one oil 5w40 that also had this.....all other oils.....oils that you would use in a bike.....such as 15w40 up to 20w50 do not have this label.

I use Castrol.....Syntec 20W50.......or Mobil One 20W50 Full Syn.......car oil........always have........never had a problem with a clutch....other than normal wear and tear.....they will all start to slip a bit about 45 to 60000 miles.......I think it depends on how much you slip the clutch. In any event a slipping clutch is no big deal.......takes about one hour to replace the friction discs..............Respectfully Kit

Guest KitCarson
Thanks for reading all those boring labels and reporting your findings.
Hope you are not holding your breath waiting on that windshield! I think we will have all ate the turkey before it gets here!

Kit

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished adding the extra stock spring and went for a test ride. Works like a champ. The job was not as difficult as I thought .

I do notice more tension on the clutch when shifting and it engages a bit sooner , but I will get over that.

Thanks for the help guys.