IGNORED

Crack in Lower Fairing

I have a crack in the lower fairing; radiating out from the main (upper) bolt that secures it. Is the best repair something like JB Weld or some sort of ABS welder product - possibly with an ABS patch to prevent it from propagating? If anyone has something that has worked for them, I would appreciate the information.

Thanks

Ross

I had the mounting bracket portion crack to the point of almost being completely severed. After looking at posts here, decided to use JB Weld to repair it. It was an easy fix and the JB Weld has been holding strong for quite some time. Just be sure to rough up the surfaces (a coarse file does the job) so the JB Weld can make a good bond with the surface.

Good luck with your repair.

"You could fix it or you can go back to the dealer and tell them you want it replaced on warrenty.."

Bike is a 2002 - don't think the warranty would cover it!

OPs, your right... I didnt add five years to 02.......didnt pay attention.. sorry..

ABS plastic repair would work. Maybe you can get to the inside or underside where no one could see the repair..you could also usae a little sheet of fiberglass and spread the ABS repair glue over it to make the repair stronger.....:confused24:

There were also a few fine cracks spreading from the upper attachment point. The mounting point was broken when I bought the bike a year ago and at the time, I used some JB Weld. It broke again and the cracks developed - think I hit a bird or small critter of some sort. I have tried cyanoacrylate adhesive (Krazy glue) in the cracks and reset the mounting point with JB Weld. We'll see if it holds up. If not, I'll have to clean out the JB Weld and try some sort of ABS patch. $200+ for the part plus paint.

Ross

Other forum members have used a product called Plastex for repairing ABS. BAsed on their adevice, I have used it and and found it to be unbelievably good for ABS repairs. I beleive there is a Plastex website that will give you more info.