IGNORED

Unexpected Shut downs (not me this time)

I got home from our long trip to PA where I experienced a weird shut down which turned out to be a weird fuel pump issue. I was emailing a friend about it and he details to me how his bike is shutting down on the side of the road but restarting again after a few minutes. Strangely enough, I asked him if his signal lights are flashing fast to which he replied he 'thought' they had but they are not consistent. He's pretty sure they flashed rather fast when he was pulling over onto the shoulder when the bike conked out. I sent him the info of what happened to mine so he can see about getting his fuel pump checked out.

I'm tempted to call the Yamaha tech reps to find out if these fast flashing signals are a trouble shooting diagnostics.. Hmmm

I'm happy to report that after the fuel pump was replaced on my bike, it's been awesome and working so well that we even climbed Mount Washington on the way home.. ;) Just had to do it because it was there.. (note: it's a much easier climb up now as they paved the last part up to the summit now.. there is only a short dirt section left.. but it's so easy to climb now.. )

Alright! Glad you are in good shape again :clap2:

I am curious about that fast signal thing too. I agree with the other folks about the circuit diagrams not showing anything that would hint that is there but we could have an outdated manual or there is an *gasp* error in the manual!

Thanks for the update :)

Alright! Glad you are in good shape again :clap2:

I am curious about that fast signal thing too. I agree with the other folks about the circuit diagrams not showing anything that would hint that is there but we could have an outdated manual or there is an *gasp* error in the manual!

Thanks for the update :)

Even the tech who fixed the bike was puzzled by that.. I had showed him the signals flashing fast before he went on to do his trouble shooting.. and he was puzzled that the problem had disappeared as he never did anything else to the bike but replace the pump.. that's all.. And he couldn't trace anything back.. The only thing he thought might have been possible is that the ignition module might send a signal back through something that makes it happen like that.. but who knows.

All I know is that I'll be very observant when ever a shut down ever occurs again on this bike.. the first time was the fuel filter, this time the fuel pump.. too much strain on the pump trying to suck fuel through a fouled filter for so long.. (take note: a clean filter may extend the life of your fuel pump ;)

Even the tech who fixed the bike was puzzled by that.. I had showed him the signals flashing fast before he went on to do his trouble shooting.. and he was puzzled that the problem had disappeared as he never did anything else to the bike but replace the pump.. that's all.. And he couldn't trace anything back.. The only thing he thought might have been possible is that the ignition module might send a signal back through something that makes it happen like that.. but who knows...

I have not checked where these things are all grounded (obviously everything gets grounded to the same place in the end -- but if there are two different grounding points that then lead to the common [real] ground for the circuit(s) this could provide some fishy behavior if some part of the electronics start misbehaving... But I really do think that is a stretch... I'll have to remember to check out some of that wiring (for curiosity sake) when I get home (and get some time).