IGNORED

89 VR Squeaky Brakes

Guest Ken8143

Don't do what I did on my bicycle as a kid when the brakes squeeked - I oiled it good and proper. No more squeeks, not more stop either.

Anyone have experience in silencing the front break squeak. I have new pads. Should the rotor be turned like a car's?.

On cars they have a goo the put on the back side of the pads that will get rid of the squeel. You can buy the stuff at your local auto parts store. Give it a try...

Anyone have experience in silencing the front break squeak. I have new pads. Should the rotor be turned like a car's?.

Had the same problem last week. All I did was the same trick to stop squeaking with car brakes. I put a dab of silicone on the back of the brake pad where it makes contact with the caliper piston. Haven't squeaked since.

If that does not work and you bought some cheap pads, you might try one or all of these suggestions.

If the edges of the pucks are not angled, grind the edges down about 45 degree angle with a file.

You can take a hacksaw and cut a horizontal line in them (down them middle), parallel to the road.

Deglase the discs with 320 grit sandpaper (not sure if there is a coating on these discs that would not let you do this)

Lastly and costly, have them drilled if they are not already drilled.

The above tricks are done on bikes made in the 70's.