NO, it isn't a Legend, I've seen a Posting with a Sketch of it here a while ago.

But, think this applies only to the '83 Models, because Yammi changed the something in the RearDrive since '84 Models. They have also another Driveshaft than the ??? '84.

Maybe someone who knows this for will chime in ?

Since i have only later Models, i just fill it like you do.

The 83-85 Venture had a rear end with a level fill hole.....those came with a plastic dipstick in the toolkit (had a new 83)....and because the rear end was common to the XS-11, the dipstick was common and had two ends....one for the separate middle gear case on the XS-11 (the Venture uses engine oil) and one for the rear end. Here are the measurements from the XS11.com site

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=72

The 86-93 Venture has the rear end fill plug on an angle and should be filled on the mainstand so the oil is just ready to spill out with the fill plug removed.

Rusty mentions greasing splines...the rear splines on an 86-93 Venture are lubed by gear oil from the rear end. The 83-85 required manual greasing of the rear driveshaft splines (the grease zerk wasn't effective).

• 5 months later...

Let's see now, new rear tire,new rear brake pads,all new bearings in rear wheel hub,new grease in rear diff,new grease everywhere, and to top it all off, new u-joint.

Got it put back together again about 3 weeks ago and yesterday bigin and i finally got to take it out on the road for a listen.

The Verdict?

The chrome trim on the left side around the saddlebag vibrates at varying RPMS causing a 'buzzing' noise.:whistling:

In all honesty though, the bearings,brakes,and u-joint all needed replaced and now I know everything back there is fresh and tight. Now I can ride the hair off its back without worrying about what that damned noise it.:cool10: