IGNORED

Passing Lamp Fuse Holder

ManWithAVision

Those of you who have installed the Yamaha passing lamps may want to inspect the OEM glass fuse holder that is part of the wiring harness that comes with the lamps. I installed these lamps on my 06 RSTD this spring. I just completed a thousand kilometer vacation trip last week and had no problems, but last Sunday on a day trip I noticed my passing lamps were no longer working. The fused power lead was connected to the wiring harness inside the headlight housing so that is the first placed I checked.

I discovered that the nylon OEM glass fuse holder had melted where the bottom of the glass fuse makes contact with the lower contact point. Fortunately the nylon fuse holder was tough enough to restrict the damage to the fuse holder housing itself and none of the other wires around it were damaged, but I had to use Channellock pliers to get it apart. I have since replaced the glass fuse holder with an automotive ATO fuse holder c/w weatherproof rubber cap. I also noted that the OEM glass fuse is rated at 10 amps whichs seems a bit high for the two lights that it powers. The red power lead looks a little thin for 10 amps. I have reduced the rating of the new ATO fuse to 5 amps and everything works just fine.:happy34:

It is always safe to put a lower amp fuse in an existing circuit (but NEVER put a higher amp fuse in!), but you may find that 5 amp fuse is just a tad too small - those two 35 watt driving lamps pull right at 5 amps at 14 volts, and a tad more at 12 volts.

The formula is Power=amps* volts, or Amps=watts/volts

Goose