IGNORED

Anyone tried a SPOT sattelite messenger

Midrsv

I've found that SPOT is offering a rebate which is good for a free unit when you sign up for 2 years of service. I've had a modest interest in one of these units for some time and this rebate is about to push me over the edge. However, the reviews I've been reading online tonight about the SPOT service don't look too favorable but it is hard to tell if people are using the unit properly.

Does anyone here have personal experience with the SPOT system and if so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Dennis

Several folks on TwoWheeledTexans are using them. I followed a group of riders going to Alaska and never lost their signal. They have to have a clear view of the sky being they run off satellite. Many mount them to the handlebars on a RAM mount or place them in the top of a tank bag or T-bag on the rack. There's not 1 bad review on the TWT site about the SPOT.

I think those who give bad reviews most likely place them in a saddlebag or trunk or may have it lieing sideways.

Several folks on TwoWheeledTexans are using them. I followed a group of riders going to Alaska and never lost their signal. They have to have a clear view of the sky being they run off satellite. Many mount them to the handlebars on a RAM mount or place them in the top of a tank bag or T-bag on the rack. There's not 1 bad review on the TWT site about the SPOT.

I think those who give bad reviews most likely place them in a saddlebag or trunk or may have it lieing sideways.

Thanks for the link to TWT. I read most of the comments there. It appears that the unit isn't perfect but as long as you've got a clear view to the sky it works fairly well. I'm going to try one. If it doesn't work it won't be the first time I've thrown money away on a new toy.

Dennis

Does anyone here have personal experience with the SPOT system and if so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Dennis

I am posting a link to my shared tracking page from the Kruisin meet that I went to. The tracking wasn't the best, but it was sitting in my jacket pocket. I will not put it in a mount on the scoot, as I want the unit to stay with me. That way I can activate the "911", once I stop sliding apart from the scoot (if that should ever happen again). :2cents:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0dW2uviFRmfVBIi65A9vRaQ1osJHe2jOq

Seems the shared page will only, retain the tracking info for about a week, as I just looked at it & the other 3 pages of my trip tracking, are now gone.

Edited by Rocket