IGNORED

Passenger Headset Plug

I have a 87 VR and the female 5 pin plug for the passenger headset cord has gotten chewed up through overuse (abuse). The plastic is breaking up and the pins are hanging on,,,barely.

I disssambled the rear sound control assembly box (on pasenger left hand side) and it looks like you should be able to wire in a replacement but the female end of the 5 pin plug looks like it is pressed into a metal flange that in turn is connected by two tiny Philip screws to a stamped metal plate. Even if you could even get an original, according to the Yamaha parts manual it looks like you would have to buy the whole module. So, if anyone has an rear assembly box for a First Gen at a reasonable price, please let me know - then I don't have to worry about trying to figure out an alternative.

I have to think someone else has already had to contend with this already. Any advice or known solutions?

Thanks and Happy 4th to our friends south of the border.

Ron

The easiest way to repair the plug is to replace it with a short cable. I have put several new sockets in and find that it doesn't take to many dismounts with headset attached to crack the plastic. I use a 5 pin AT/MIDI computer cable. Most of the time they cost about $5.00. It is hard to find a black cable. I remove the socket and put in a strain relief. Then match the pinout. Usually I epoxy the strain relief into the large hole. Make the new cable about 8 inches long. About 2 inches inside and the remainder will hang down but not touch the saddlebag. You can go to Home Depot and find a rubber cap for the end. Get a piece of cord and thread it through the cap and knot it. Then tie the other end around the cable. The female end will not have the shroud extension like the driver's cable but will connect just fine.

JB

My 86 vr. had broken flange, nav. was having to move plug around, tried using large washer to screw into box that i threaded the cord thru. didnt last long .now for the solution. under the seat are two cord ends (5 pin ) on left side. one may have a plug on the end. other may go to control box. I pluged her headset cord into one. which ever one works.threaded cord thru bolt hole,put seat on, cord stays attached all time but works without the box. stuff cord behind seat when not in use.

Thanks.

Big Dude -Original configuration has the Nav headset connection wired to the CB/Radio controller socket

If you make the connection under the seat, as you suggested, does that line carry both audio/intercom signals or just intercom?

Cheers

Ron