IGNORED

Trip Advice Wanted - Coast of Maine

04Midnight

In a few weeks, I will be travelling to Portsmount, NH, then all the way up the coast of Maine to Eastport.

I would like some advice on hotel/motel reservations. Should I make some? And how far in advance? I really don't want to book anything ahead of time. I want to see where the wind takes me. For example, I will probably spend one night at Old Orchard Beach. I notice there are plenty of logdings along the beach there. Will I find something when I get there? With the economy the way it is, will the vacation spots be less crowded?

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

04 You should pretty comfortable at OOB cuz half of Quebec will be there... If you're starting in Portsmouth and your only going as far as OOB (about 40 miles) the first night you got time to drop down into Hampton Beach, NH and ride up 1A to 1B through N. Hampton and Rye back up following the coastline to Portsmouth and into Kittery and Rte 103... Just hug the coast and you'll see plenty of nice scenery all the way up... York Beach is pretty nice...

Not knowing your timeframe it's kinda hard to suggest side rides cuz you could spend a month roaming around here with all kinds of good riding...

Make sure to stop at Young's Lobster Pound in Belfast. You will get a lobster roll of a lifetime. YLP buys lobsters from fisherman right at their dock. They will then take one of these fresh lobsters and throw it in the pot and make the lobster roll immediately. You can't get any fresher unless you can cook underwater.

It is outstanding.

Red barnlike structure on the north side of the river/inlet just of Hwy 1.

Your welcome (you will thank me later).

RR