IGNORED

shopping for H. T. plug leads ?

Hi,

I want to replace the H.T. leads to the spark plugs on my '84. What do I need to ask for at my local auto parts counter?

I notice that one local supplier (not usually my first chioce) has a selection of pre-made NGK wires on the shelf. Is there a ready made NGK part that would be a good choice? Prices across the range he had were about $22 Cdn / wire. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks,

Brian H.

The best fix I found was a wire kit for a farm tractor that was copper wire that you cut each one to length. I then stopped by the bike shop and bought four spark plug caps and I think I have about $30 in everything.

I used the plastic wire covers that came off the bike wires, but you can get that stuff at a auto parts store cheap too.

RandyA

So nothing fancy then with prescribed ohms per foot and carbon cores or the like?

Thanks,

Brian H.

I believe the the recommended resistance is 5,000 ohms. The plugs have this resistance. I believe I read somewhere one time that the recommended wire plug caps also had resistance built into them and that the bike would run better with regular plugs but my memory is fuzzy on the details now. I do know that you want copper wire, not carbon core.

Dick

If you have a Car Quest auto parts store in the area with a good counterman.

They sell Standard Ignition brand ignition under the carquest brand and in their catalog is lengths of silicone cable with carbon or copper wire, in the same cataloge they sell different plug clips and boots to match so you can make your own custom wires. Or you can look at the pictures of the made up plug wires and hopefully fing an exact fit or one real close. Don't use their second lne of BRAVO branded wires not sutible for a perminate fix but could be carried as a spare to get you down the road if you had to.

Edited by Shamue
spelling