IGNORED

Anyone know whether an Emerald ash Borer would be interested in Maple?

GG54172

I had two large silver maple trees cut down in my front yard about four weeks ago. Today, I was splitting the last of the big trunk pieces. I looked down at the wood pile and saw a bright, metallic green bug crawling across one of the logs. It was nearly an inch long, almost too big to be an ash borer, but it looked exactly like the pictures I have seen on the internet. I have been splitting and stacking this wood for four weeks (been busy with other stuff too) and this is the only bug I saw like that. I do not know if the bug was living in the tree (i haven't seen any evidence of the bug before) or if he was just crawling through my yard and I happened to see it. I tried to kill and collect it, but it slipped between the cracks fo the log pile before I had a chance to get at it.

The local news networks are talking about how the emerald ash borer has been discovered in Clayton county, about 5 miles north of my house.

Is there anything I should do? Is there any other bug out there that looks like an ash borer?

Guest seuadr

i'd keep your eyes peeled for more, as i understand it, they by far prefer ash trees but will eat other species.

i would put out some beetle traps and such and see if you snag a few, if so, if you get them early, there are treatments tree companies can apply or recommend for you to apply to protect your yard.

here is a site with a bit of info for ya

http://www.emeraldashborer.info/

In this part of Michigan there isn't a single ash tree left alive. I personally have years worth of ash firewood.

As far as I know the maples are untouched. Certainaly the ones by my house are just fine.

Call your county 4H ag guy. He will either come check it out himself or send someone with more expertise out to evaluate the critter. They will not take it lightly.

RR

PS. How's the football going? Post a schedule in case some of us have a need to go somewhere on the weekend.

Down here in Texas I've lost a silver leaf maple, an apriocot tree, and peach trees to borers. They may not be the same type of bug you have but boring beatles kill a lot of different trees. Looks like you've got some good advice above.