IGNORED

4th of July in Eagle Nest, NM

Schlepporello

I've recently found out that Eagle Nest, NM has a 4th of July parade. I've also heard that it's usually attended by about 5000 spectaturs, which I find is very remarkable given the small size of the town. Anyhow, to "toot my own horn" so to speak, I've signed up to play in a band for the parade. A former band director from Amarillo, TX now spends 3/4's of the year in Eagle Nest. He had the brainstorm of an idea to form a band for the parade. I just happened to find out about it when looking up some old friends on Facebook. Anyhow, if any of you guys and gals just happen to be attending this parade this year, keep an eye out for an exceedingly tall tuba player riding on a 20' trailer with a bunch of other former band geeks.

While you are there, take a ride to the Vietnam Vet Memorial in Eagles Nest approx. 5 miles away. Dr. Westfall built the chappel in memory of his son that was killed in that war. The state has taken over the operation of the park and a remodel is now underway. It is worth the visit and learning of the Chappel's story. I usually attend the celebration over Veteran's Day weekend.

Maybe I can catch you there, it's only a 3.5 hour ride for me and I love to ride the loop through Red River N.M.

If you have never been to the area it is remarkable how these small communities come together for the differant events. A MUST SEE FOR SURE!!

Oh I've been to this area many times in my life. I love this part of New Mexico the best. As I understand things, the parade route will go all the way from Eagle Nest to Angel Fire, so we'll go right by the monument.

By the way, there's a foundry in your area, some kid with the last name of Hicks runs it. I went to grade school with that kid.