IGNORED

Experienced Rider Course

I'm sure it's been said before, but if anyone has an opportunity to take an "experienced rider course", I highly recommend it. I just completed one on Sunday, and I had a blast. I wouldn't say I learned a ton I didn't already know (at least in theory), so much as I was able to become more comfortable with my bike, and put things into practice in a controlled environment. I watched my dad throw his Goldwing around like a toy, to the amazement of us both. And to make it more interesting, we got to practice "emergency braking in a curve", right about time time it started pouring down rain.

We all had a blast, and a couple of us have already discussed taking it again next year, just for the practice.

Where was it provided at? Decatur?

No, Decatur didn't offer one this year. We actually rode over to Springfield and took it at the EPA headquarters. They did say though, that if you contact the MSF with enough interest, they will usually host one in your own town... given there is space of course. So who knows; we might try that next year.

the EPA lot is where I took the basic class at years ago. How far out did you have to sign up to get in the advanced? I know the basic class is almost impossible to get into.
I believe we signed up either the end of February or the first part of March. There were only 6 of us in the class; five of which I signed up myself. :rotf:

http://www.motorcyclesafety.ilstu.edu/

There is a course this Saturday at ICC in East Peoria. I wanted to go to the class there last saturday but went with my STAR group on a ride to Indiana instead.

I will probably go to this class the 30th as a walk-in and see if I can get in the class, the registration deadline is past.

BTW, Roadkill, any movement on that ride to Decatur to go to a race at Macon Speedway?

I will send a direct message to you about it, but I still want to do this and my son and wife would probably go too.

There is a course this Saturday at ICC in East Peoria. I wanted to go to the class there last saturday but went with my STAR group on a ride to Indiana instead.

I will probably go to this class the 30th as a walk-in and see if I can get in the class, the registration deadline is past.

BTW, Roadkill, any movement on that ride to Decatur to go to a race at Macon Speedway?

I will send a direct message to you about it, but I still want to do this and my son and wife would probably go too.

I don't remember discussing it, Don, I'm sorry. I want to do it though. We just need to pick a date. I have never been to Macon, but have always wanted to. Matter of fact I was just telling my wife that this past weekend.

Jay...

Hope you got my PMs earlier, but in case you didn't, it was Don and I that were discussing it. It came about on the scavenger hunt thread when I took a picture at Macon Speedway. We're both up for it as well, just have to find a good time. Don and I both said that the last week in June was good, or even 4th of July weekend if everyone is free (I'd have to check Macon's schedule). Otherwise, Don suggested we could wait and even make it later in the year. The speedway runs through September.

The speedway is only about 10-15 minutes from my house.

Have you seen the Ride Like a Pro V DVD yet???

it makes for a GREAT refresher!!!!!!

I have it, and I've skimmed through parts of it, but I have not yet sat down and watched it from start to finish. I do plan to do that one weekend though... if I ever get a free one! :rotf: Some of the things I did watch in there (such as the consistent drilling of "turn your head") I put to use during the class, where we had ample time to practice and try new things.