IGNORED

LED Light problem

georgew48

Help, here is my problem. I have LED tail lights on my Hannigan trike and they are suppose to blink three times and the go steady when you apply the brakes. They work fine when I apply the brakes with the engine off but with the engine running they work fine for the first two times you apply the brakes but then on the next brake application they start blinking and don't stop blinking as long as you hold the brake lever or press the foot brake. The problem only occurs when the engine is running. I have checked all the grounds and it seems to be getting good ground. I have even run a ground stright to the battery. Any ideas?

I would suspect that somewhere on the trailer is something like a "back off" module. It is an aftermarket device that causes the the lights to flash. It may have very well gone bad. I can't think of anything else, in the way of bad connections, that would cause that behavior.

I would suspect that somewhere on the trailer is something like a "back off" module. It is an aftermarket device that causes the the lights to flash. It may have very well gone bad. I can't think of anything else, in the way of bad connections, that would cause that behavior.

Sounds like the "Back Off XP" unit is installed & the continuous flash output lead is making contact, to the lead connected to the brake lights. On these units there is 2 output leads, the first behaves like your engine off application, the other is continuous flash. Locate the unit & tape off any unused leads.

I hope your issue is an easy fix.

I had a backoff module fail on me after about three years. It failed with the brake light on all the time. I had to take it out of the circuit. I was not happy. I bought that thing to enhance my safety and it did just the opposite. I did buy another one. I wired this new one into only the Harley add on tail lights so that if it fails I still have the other brake lights.

Best of luck.