IGNORED

Help With Alternator Noise and Possible Stray voltage

I have a 06 RSTD. Im getting alternator whine from somewhere on my frontend when i get to around 60mph and up. Varying intensity I dont know if theres a weak ground or something. Does anyone else hear a whine around the speedo when they get up that fast. The other part of this is I tried checking my grounds. SOMEONE PLEASE check With a VOM mV from the neg lead to the battery and the pos lead to the bars. Then turn to ignition. Everywhere on my bike shows gounded 2.5mV but the bars and tank show 200-300 mV. Dont know if this means anything. Dont know why the bars arent grounding as they're attached to the triple trees and those show good. I know 300 mV isnt crap but it may point an issue. Please any ideas im going on a long trip in a few weeks and, this sound is driving me insane. Thanks Jeremy

have you checked all 4 ends of the battery cables ?? Clean, and maby resolder them.

Use solder flux, propane torch for heat, and resolder with Rosin Core solder.

Also, ther is a Main Grounding point somwhere on the bike. ( not sure where on 2nd gen. its under upper left fairing on 1st Gens. ) find the point, remove and Clean all the contacts, maby Resolder the Studs to ends of wires. There will be about 5 Black wires going to ground at this one point. ( Yamaha ran all black wires back to theis one point )

Also, there is an Noise filter located someplace on the bike ( see service manual )

Also, there is a small Capacitor mounted to the output of the Regulator. Use service manual, find the capacitor, might need to be replaced, ( Or install a larger capacitor )

Also, Remove the Plug, from the Rectifyer/Regulator unit. and Check the Pins for damage, ( the black and Red wires from the Regulator are carrying High Current )

There have been several reports of Burnt Pins in this plug.

The Radio, and audio equipment Units should have a ground from their Case's. Be sure these ground wires are not corroded at connections.

Use CRC 2-26, Electrical contact cleaner, on ALL plugs and connections for All of the Audio, and Intercom Components.

( while your at this job, do EVERY Connector on the Entire Motorcycle with CRC 2-26 )

Check All your fuses's for corrosion, and Very Good contacts in the Fuse Holders.

Check for " ZERO " oHMS ( dead short ) Between All sections of the Frame and Engine, and Neg Battery Stud. Also, take resistance readings, from the neg Battery Stud, to the CASE of All the Audio Components.

That should get you started. :bang head:

Thank You for the reply. I see the ground from the battery to the engine but cant find anything else. I get it without the bike started in ignition. It goes down alot if I take out the headlight. But fire the bike up and its back to 250-300 mV. I dont know what would cause this whine too I hope to find its all related. I'm really wondering if all RSTD's read this voltage or if mine has issues. I wish i had a manual but there isnt one out yet for the 06 well except for the dealer.

One more thing its just a Tour Deluxe no radio, and it sounds like a whine around the speedo coming from? hard to tell as I have to be going 60 just to start to hear it. Could be electrical there or coming from the engine in the front of the bike.