IGNORED

Need more help on modifying mufflers-in a jam!

:bang head:Please read my thread a few down from here if you haven't. I received a lot of great advice on the whole issue. I followed the directions on one of the links I received and this is where I'm at...

This on new 07 RSTD. Started by taking plasma cutter and cut around the baffle that is connected to the cone. Cone then was loose, and came out without too much work. Then cut through the baffle plate that the baffle is also attached to. So now from the links I received here, one writer said all you have to do is wiggle, twist, and pull, and the baffle should slide out... I don't know if my pipes are slightly different because it is an 07 RSTD vs. other years, or vs. the Ventures(?) but the tack weld that should twist apart on my baffle about 6-8 inches further in is about 1/2 an inch long.

We first tried to wiggle, twist, and pull.... didn't move whatsoever. Next welded metal attachment to the baffle we were trying to remove, connected big slide hammer to attachment, pounded away, and MAYBE moved it out an 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Problem with this method is that the muffler is off the bike and I had to hold it while my friend did the slide hammer. I couldn't hold it well enough. Then we detached slide hammer assembly from baffle and welded 1 inch diameter rod directly in baffle we wanted out. I then reattached muffler to bike thinking that this would hold pipe in place. On end of the metal rod that was now sticking 6 inches out of baffle, I put big pipe wrench on to do twisting motion and whole muffler moved instead of 1/2 inch tack welded baffle. Then realized muffler mounting tab had rubber grommets in it. Removed those and temporarily rebolted thinking it would be rigid. Tried to twist w/ pipe wrench again and will bend brackets and baffle stays stationary. I am so frustrated I'm ready to scream.

If anybody has suggestions, they would all be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU,

Blake - royal rider:bang head: :95:

Sounds like the BUBS Sleepers are going on your bike. They sound really goood. If you have a wife this is a good reason to get em.

Husband to wife: Hi honey, have you ever heard the saying "Loud Pipes Save Lives"? They also say visibility, visibility. This means additional lighting. Well, I was trying to give us every oportunity I could by trying the modification myself. I have been on a forum and they said this modification could be done. Well it's the last time I go looking to save money on the internet. I have to replace my slip on pipes. fortunately I only ruined half of them I stop before I went to far.

Sorry my freind I had to do it. I have been there. Look at Phat Performace. They are cheeper than any where else that I have found. That is unless you find some advice more helpfull than mine.

:bang head:Please read my thread a few down from here if you haven't. I received a lot of great advice on the whole issue. I followed the directions on one of the links I received and this is where I'm at...

This on new 07 RSTD. Started by taking plasma cutter and cut around the baffle that is connected to the cone. Cone then was loose, and came out without too much work. Then cut through the baffle plate that the baffle is also attached to. So now from the links I received here, one writer said all you have to do is wiggle, twist, and pull, and the baffle should slide out... I don't know if my pipes are slightly different because it is an 07 RSTD vs. other years, or vs. the Ventures(?) but the tack weld that should twist apart on my baffle about 6-8 inches further in is about 1/2 an inch long.

We first tried to wiggle, twist, and pull.... didn't move whatsoever. Next welded metal attachment to the baffle we were trying to remove, connected big slide hammer to attachment, pounded away, and MAYBE moved it out an 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Problem with this method is that the muffler is off the bike and I had to hold it while my friend did the slide hammer. I couldn't hold it well enough. Then we detached slide hammer assembly from baffle and welded 1 inch diameter rod directly in baffle we wanted out. I then reattached muffler to bike thinking that this would hold pipe in place. On end of the metal rod that was now sticking 6 inches out of baffle, I put big pipe wrench on to do twisting motion and whole muffler moved instead of 1/2 inch tack welded baffle. Then realized muffler mounting tab had rubber grommets in it. Removed those and temporarily rebolted thinking it would be rigid. Tried to twist w/ pipe wrench again and will bend brackets and baffle stays stationary. I am so frustrated I'm ready to scream.

If anybody has suggestions, they would all be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU,

Blake - royal rider:bang head: :95:

Long Cold chisel possibly? come in from the other end maybe also

Sounds like the BUBS Sleepers are going on your bike. They sound really goood. If you have a wife this is a good reason to get em.

Husband to wife: Hi honey, have you ever heard the saying "Loud Pipes Save Lives"? They also say visibility, visibility. This means additional lighting. Well, I was trying to give us every oportunity I could by trying the modification myself. I have been on a forum and they said this modification could be done. Well it's the last time I go looking to save money on the internet. I have to replace my slip on pipes. fortunately I only ruined half of them I stop before I went to far.

Sorry my freind I had to do it. I have been there. Look at Phat Performace. They are cheeper than any where else that I have found. That is unless you find some advice more helpfull than mine.

Thanks for the advice. I am leaning towards putting on aftermarket, but my friend that owns a bodyshop who is helping me might try a few more things before we give up.

royal rider