IGNORED

fuel consumption help?

Hi all, newby from Queensland Australia.

My fuel consumption seems to high after riding with a mate (RSTD 05) Mine is a 99 Venture.

figures are Venture- 11.2 km per Lt

RSTD - 17.6 km per Lt.

Has anyone got suggestions how to remedy my problem.

Thanx in advance

My fuel consumption seems to high after riding with a mate (RSTD 05) Mine is a 99 Venture.

RSTD - 17.6 km per Lt.

Thanx in advance

That is awfully low... Assuming that you had fresh gas, and you didn't have a horrible headwind, also smooth acceleration, and no hesitation given different throttle in, etc (ie the carbs are clean enough) I would check:

1) Air filters

2) Plug gap/condition -- look at business end of the plugs (ie the electrode) to check to see if there is any abnormal color or if they smell like fuel or oil

3) fuel filter

4) etc.

These are the pretty syandard items but hope that helps!

RSTD - 17.6 km per Lt.

Thanx in advance

G'day mate

11ks/L is not too flash. I've got the same '99 bike with 130,000 ks on the clock & get just on 17 ks/L. I thought just last week It's about due for a tune up & might even do a bit better than 17k/L. I do use nothing less than premium fuel, & ultra/ultimate (98 + octane) if it's available. A few cents more but I think worth it. Don't know if these options are available in US, assume so. LilBeaver mentioned the obvious things to check. Let us know how you get on.

I too am new to the site & find great info here. Also wondered how far north you are in QLD? I'm northern NSW & don't know of any other venture owners in the area.

Good luck with fuel problem

Tony

hi Chezley. I'm in Biloela. About 550km north of Brisbane. Have already checked air filters(were almost completely blocked on intake/front part of both filters"k&n". also noticed weeping on choke piston of 1 carb. Will Pay when i have more time. I've only had the bike for 1month so it's a game of exploration.

Cheers:happy34:

• 1 month later...

I finally found part of the problem.

Turns out the front head exaust cam shaft was one tooth out.

Only helped marginally though, so next i'll check out the carbies i guess.

Cheers for the help guys:thumbsup: