IGNORED

Soooo close! Garage door opener project

GG54172

Well, I got a cheap garage remote off of fleabay and took it apart. The battery was 3volt and I confirmed that with my multimeter. I want to hard wire the remote into the motorcycle electrical system. (No need to replace batteries) I went to Radio Shack (I know, radio shack is not a good place to buy stuff, but it was convenient) and they had two types of voltage regulators. One was a 5 volt regulator and the other was a programable regulator. I purchased the 5 volt regulator thinking that most IC's are 5 volt.

Well, the voltage regulator didn't work. I confirmed 5 volts at the remote and the polarity was correct, but the remote circuit must have some sort of limiter on it. I disconnected the 5volt regulator and reconnected the 3volt battery and the remote worked fine. Reconnected the 5 volt regulator and it didn't work. Fortunately I didn't fry the remote board. However, I will have to go back to radio shack and get the programable voltage regulator.

I have been taking pictures, when I am done I will post a write up.

I used the chrome end of an ink pen, and opened the end hole just a tad bit larger, then I wired up and installed a push button switch inside it. Then I ran the wires down the left handle bar to the garage door opener switch that is located between the rear fairing and the front left fork tube and is held on with Velcro.

I also installed a mini quick disconnect in the wires so that when the batteries go bad in the garage door opener, I can easily unplug it and take it to the bench to replace the batteries.

Here is a photo of where mine is located.

Note: I do not remove my left hand from the handle bar to open my garage door.

Look for the small "red" tip on the forward side of the head light switch housing in the photo.

Just put three power diodes (1n4001) in series on the OUTPUT side of the regulator... each diode drops about .7 volts so you would have 5V - 2.1v = 2.9V

The diode will have a stripe on one end (cathode) and this end should be AWAY from the regulator in each case...

from regulator ---|>|-----|>|-----|>|--- to opener

the 25 pack is much cheaper if you want to have some spares for other projects...

a mix of 1N4001, 1N4002, 1N4003, etc... the last number being the absolute reverse breakdown voltage... 100V, 200V, etc. (not a concern here!)