IGNORED

who has a street pilot

I have the 2720..got it at refurb depot .com for 139.00. I also got a wireing harness from garmin and wired it derectly from the battery via a lighted toggle switch for power.. I split the fairing and split the audio cable so that I can hear the commands thru my headset or speakers when on aux.. not a big job.. cost around 25.00... All parts for the splitter I bought from radio shack..took about 45 min.. theres a thread here that shows how to do it... the 2720 is waterproof and so far I love it..It is a large unit and it doesn't run on batteries..didn't like the power hookup it comes with.. thats why I changed the power supply..as you know the speaker it comes with is in the power chord...I didn't like the speaker hanging out of the ac plug..for the money it cost me , and the simplicity of usage you cant go wrong ..there are a lot of gps units out there and it can become quite confusing...It all depend what you want in a unit...for me ..again ..simplicity...I bought a ram mount to attach the unit to the handlebars..By the way garmin sent me the wireing harness at no cost..If you decide to go this way, give me a pm and I will give you the name of my contact person and his number at garmin for the harness....:fnd_(16):

has anyone used the bluetooth with a headset and phone? does it work decently?

also can you hear the mp3 or XM through the bluetooth? My wife and I have the Scala Team rider set that work great and this would solve a couple of issues for us.

I have the 2720..got it at refurb depot .com for 139.00. I also got a wireing harness from garmin and wired it derectly from the battery via a lighted toggle switch for power.. I split the fairing and split the audio cable so that I can hear the commands thru my headset or speakers when on aux.. not a big job.. cost around 25.00... All parts for the splitter I bought from radio shack..took about 45 min.. theres a thread here that shows how to do it... the 2720 is waterproof and so far I love it..It is a large unit and it doesn't run on batteries..didn't like the power hookup it comes with.. thats why I changed the power supply..as you know the speaker it comes with is in the power chord...I didn't like the speaker hanging out of the ac plug..for the money it cost me , and the simplicity of usage you cant go wrong ..there are a lot of gps units out there and it can become quite confusing...It all depend what you want in a unit...for me ..again ..simplicity...I bought a ram mount to attach the unit to the handlebars..By the way garmin sent me the wireing harness at no cost..If you decide to go this way, give me a pm and I will give you the name of my contact person and his number at garmin for the harness....:fnd_(16):

Pretty much everything he said...though mine is a 2820. I got the shortest Ram mount arm (about 1-3/4") and mounted it on the left bar slightly forward and behind the radio controller - allows me to steady my wrist on the controller and touch the GPS screen while riding (yup, can be dangerous). I've been in some pretty good rain and no issues with waterproofness. I bought the BuddyRich cable and the bluetooth connects to my Razor cell phone automatically every time I turn on the GPS (which is always). My wife and others say they can't tell I'm riding from the clarity of sound (I use a standard J&M headset). The menu layout is a bit different from what the Zumo has, but I've not found that it's lacking a feature compared to the Zumo, just a different way of getting to it. My power cable runs direct from battery to GPS and includes an audio jack (mini-size) and I have tried it two ways: After splitting the aux jack inside the fairing I routed a 1/8" stereo jack to the left handlebar and into a 1/8"-to-mini adapter into the power cord audio (mini) jack. I found the sound to be OK all by itself, but doesn't compete well with my Ipod which runs off another aux jack split from the same place inside the fairing. So I went the other way which is to plug the 1/8" stereo jack directly into the side audio port on the GPS. The sound is much louder this way and I can hear the prompts at similar volume to the IPOD. I also like the MapSource software for the desktop computer which allow you to plan a route and download it to the GPS. Only negative I found is that the 2GB hard drive really doesn't allow storing 2GB worth of music. I only have about 130 songs, so I rarely listed to the GPS MP3 music unless my Ipod has gone tango uniform.

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered a 2720, ram mount, and motorcycle power audio cable. Somewhere I've see a tech report listing Radio Shack part # for the cable to spit the audio cable and instructions on the process - is that article availible here?? I'm thinking it included pictures of the process.

I recently bought a 2730 with XM antenna and all for $245 @ Getfeetwet.com Love it! I really like having only one unit. I was using a Nuvi 650.

2730 Downsides

smaller screen than nuvi (don't look at screen much, listen to commands)

no SD slot so can only hold limited MP2 about 0.9 gb (still about 350 songs)

no picture player (nice but not missed

no battery (they provide a AC power supply)

kind of big (size does matter :rasberry:)

2730 Upsides

Waterproof

Everything in one Unit, GPS, MP3, XM radio

ability to hardwire to bike

Having everything in one is what I'm loving and not having to throw a ziplock bag over it in bad weather. I can live with all the other differences.