IGNORED

Attention PA Contractors- Important!

Biker King

Alert for any of our Pennsylvania contractors (including general contractors, painters, plumbers, electricians, possibly landscapers, and others! You better do a search for "New PA contractor law". There is very disturbing requirements that will take effect THIS July (09). While PA needed this kind of registration for contractors, they don't need to have government tell them how they can run their business to this extent and take away safeguards for contractors (against non-paying consumers) only and leave those same safeguards in place for consumers. This isn't right, and it's discrimination against legitimate contractors! This will effect all our PA contractor members and is another example of government not thinking things through completely before passing something (just like the minibike/atv ban because of lead in the motors and batteries).

I would suggest you study this law and see how adversely it will affect you and how you do business and the risks involved with this new poorly thought out law, then contact your officials and work to get some of these items changed to be fair.

Go here for more info on this upcoming law (as well as other sites you'll find with a search):

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/press.aspx?id=3993

and click on the "Home Improvement Consumer Act" text near the top of the article.

If you are a legitimate contracter, then this act should not bother you.

FWIW they forgot to include a few things:

1) any company/person who direct sells a homeowner any reno work should also have post a performance bond with the state

2) they should also have to have liability insurance

3) any of their salespeople who direct sell should have to be licensed

BTW, your states proposal is mild compared to some of the rules in place up here

I am a legit contractor, and have no problems with the basic idea of licensing of contractors. What I do have a problem with, is that this act takes away a safeguard for contractors in that they cannot collect attorney or filing fees against a consumer for not paying the contract amount when the contract was full filled. However, the consumer retains this right. That is not right in my book. Contractors will also not be able to do work on a time and material basis anymore as I understand from this law. Some of my customers prefer it that way. This will probably get rid of some of the fly by nights that have plagued us legit contractors, but it will also increase our risk and paperwork and possibly PO some of our better customers because of these new laws. And, you do have to have liability insurance, which is only right, so I don't know where you thought that was not included.