IGNORED

Car jack

MidlifeVenture

Oh, I thought you were going to say something about how you got car jacked.

A car jack by itself doesn't have a wide enough stance on the ground to hold a bike in the air with any stability. The way to do it would be to build a parallelogram type of frame support to hold the bike and use the car jack to lift that. This link here might give you some ideas.

I built one using two screw jacks welded together so they both went up at the same time. They are attached with angle iron at the top and the bottom. I only use them to stand the bike up straight and get the wheel off a little. Any serious lifting I get out the big jack.

Pictures here http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18340

Hey now, that's a really ingenious idea. I missed that the first time around. I think I'll be building one of those. How did you get the screws exactly in the same line? Maybe with the jacks fully extended, lay a piece of angle iron across the screws and weld the ends together? And I'm thinking that should be the first step before welding the frames together?

Well if you had them screwed all the way down, how did you make sure to get the screws in the same line?

I went out and checked the trunk of a car I'm getting ready to have hauled away. I knew it had two identical jacks in it, but they turned out to be the wrong kind. Rats. I'll have to hit up a wrecking yard.

Like I said its been a few years but I believe I eyeballed it. The screws where the first thing I welded. You probably can't tell from the pictures but the angle iron top actually angles a little and I used the 2" tubing to make it level and also to compensate for the engine sticking down below the frame. Its not so out of level that I can't use it to lift the DR just by putting the angle iron top against the frame.