IGNORED

Stereo and speakers 1986 Venture XVZ

Guest zacman

Hello all, brand new venture owner as of today!! Traded my 86 FJ1200 for an 86 Venture XVZ.

I am now interested in installing a stereo and speakers as it appears this was not an option on this model. Looking for any info on anyone who has done the same or has any ideas

Thanks

Zacman:680:

the Royale came with an AM/FM?Cassette unit that is also tied into an intercom unit. The radio amp has a circuit that automatically increases the volume as your speed increases. There is also an optional CB radio that ties in with the intercom as well. They pop up on ebay all the time. They consist of the radio control module, the preamp control module, the tuner chassis, and the main amplifier unit. The wiring is most likely already part of your harness.

Depending on whether or not you need/want an intercom, many members and non members have installed a regular car stereo on the bike. If you go this route, I would strongly recommend a marine type stereo, such as the Sony unit...

Yes, a high quality marine quality Am FM Stereo receiver, with MP-3 input.

You get your radio, plus built in Amplifier, plus the MP-3 Input.

MP-3 is by far the best source for your own tunes. With the least amount of trouble.

Also, there is a company that supplies speakers, that are marine grade quality.

( sorry I forgot the source ) sombody will pop up with that informatio.

I bought a low quality car stereo and a $19.95 marine stereo pod for mine. No sense in wasting $250.00 on a high end marine radio that will get destroyed as fast as a $99.00 Cheap JVC radio. find some 3/8" or thicker black textured ABS plastic or glue sheets together to make it that thick and cut it to fit over the left side fairing pocket. Remove the pocket before this. Or if you want to get fancy, cut a foam buck to look the way you want and fiberglass up a nice mold to hold a stereo for you if you can do fiberglass.

If you have the dash speaker pods there, replace the junky stock speakers with some rubber surround coaxial cheap car speakers. I found that JVC has a pair of 4" speakers that sell for $14.95 that sound fantastic, my 83 has 4" speaker openings in it, check yours before buying. I added foam back baffles to keep moisture out.

I'm building some speaker pods to put a set of 4" speakers off the trunk so I can have 4 speakers like the newer goldwings.

Remember it's gonna sound kind of tinny. you cant get BASS from a motorcycle stereo unless you strap a subwoofer to the back seat.

that IF you really gotta have FM radio. if all you will listen to is XM/Sirius or Ipod then get a amplifier with a remote volume and wire in a headphone cord to plug into the device you will use and get one of these below to control volume. add a switch to turn it on or off.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?model_ID=0&Category_ID=50&manufacturer_ID=540&product_ID=24312&sblid_name=Cycle_Sounds_Volume_Control_for___Wheel_Tunes_Cycle_Sounds_Systems

I have the car stereo in mine, but will be switching to a small car stereo amp (100Watts is way more than enough, try to find a tiny 35 watt) because I never use the FM radio anymore. I listen to Sirius or an Mp3 player. My sirius is a "radar dector" type (Xact Visor) radio that velcroes to the top of the Instrument pod.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_098CO3002/Orion-Cobalt-CO300-2.html?tp=115

click the link above for a decent small amp. Even that one is way too much for a motorcycle.