IGNORED

K&N Air filters 2nd gen

I looked all over the place but did not see this answer...so if it is a repeat...I appoligize.

I have been torn over whether to install the chrome Air Filter covers on the RSV...I see on this site where some has had problems with chrome pealing off and the cost is a big issue. Yamaha says will warranty all accessory parts for 1 year, gee I figure something that small that cost close to $300 for the set just for looks ought to have more warranty than that. I really like the look...but so far I have not got up the courage to make that purchase.

But they look so good...

I know it is coming in the future and I found the K&N Air Filters at a steal of $74 for the pair so I jumped on them. Best I could find else where was around $101. I understand you need the K&N filtes for the new chrome covers. Not sure why at this point.

Now I have a set of K&N Air filters and no chrome air filter covers.

I was wondering...can you use the K&N filters with the stock air filter covers?

I know I put a K&N stock replacement air filter in my VW Jetta TDI diesel and gained about 2 MPG, that pushed me up over 50 MPG mark, so it has gotta help if I can use the on the RSV.

Thanks,

Mike

I looked all over the place but did not see this answer...so if it is a repeat...I appoligize.

I have been torn over whether to install the chrome Air Filter covers on the RSV...I see on this site where some has had problems with chrome pealing off and the cost is a big issue. Yamaha says will warranty all accessory parts for 1 year, gee I figure something that small that cost close to $300 for the set just for looks ought to have more warranty than that. I really like the look...but so far I have not got up the courage to make that purchase.

But they look so good...

I know it is coming in the future and I found the K&N Air Filters at a steal of $74 for the pair so I jumped on them. Best I could find else where was around $101. I understand you need the K&N filtes for the new chrome covers. Not sure why at this point.

Now I have a set of K&N Air filters and no chrome air filter covers.

I was wondering...can you use the K&N filters with the stock air filter covers?

I know I put a K&N stock replacement air filter in my VW Jetta TDI diesel and gained about 2 MPG, that pushed me up over 50 MPG mark, so it has gotta help if I can use the on the RSV.

Thanks,

Mike

Yepper, you can use the stock covers on K&N filters. It's what I have. Eventually I'll chrome the covers for about 60 a piece but for now it'll fine. God bless. Mike

Yepper, you can use the stock covers on K&N filters. It's what I have. Eventually I'll chrome the covers for about 60 a piece but for now it'll fine. God bless. Mike

Mike, can you explain why the K&N filters are needed with the chrome covers if they will work with the regulars? And have you actually looked into chroming the originals? What do you have to do to prep them?

Mike: I asked the same ? last year AFTER I added the K&N Filters and Chrome Covers...

I discovered LATER that the stock covers have raised plastic part the the K&N's don't...With the Chrome covers this raised area on the stock filters will prevent the covers from tightening down...

Solution I would have tired versus spending the $$$$ on the K&N's as posted by a member of this site..Forgot name..

He removed the raised Plastic Part from the stock filters and then covered the hole he now created with either cardboard or some other stiff paper product...with the raised part now "GONE" the Chrome Covers fit perfectly....He had them like this for more that two years...No problem and nothing changed but the Covers....I think he sawed the raised plastic off the stock filter with a bandsaw, tablesaw...? No changes to carbs...nothing else needed...by the way if you are looking for a good price on the covers, go here...Very good prices..

http://www.motorsportssupercenter.com/

Hope this helps...

George In Virginia

Mike, can you explain why the K&N filters are needed with the chrome covers if they will work with the regulars? And have you actually looked into chroming the originals? What do you have to do to prep them?

I'm at the moment having both battery covers and passenger floorboards chromed. Paying a bit more right now since I sent in only one set of each but company is giving heavily reduced prices for more then 10 sets designated to VR members and even more discount if 20 or more send theirs in. I'm just waiting for final prices on the 4 pieces I sent in and then see how well they do. if all goes well I'll pass on the info to our members and probably send in my stock air cleaner covers next. Wouldn't expect it to cost any more then 50 each.Can't have too much safety chrome. Mike

I bought the chrome covers at Ron Ayers Motorsports. They were $30 cheaper than the cheapest place I could find, and no shipping charges.

I did kinda like George Harbour described. I sliced the raised area away with a bandsaw, then cut away all but the outer plastic part with the foam on it and glued it over the hole with silicone.

I couldn't believe you had to buy $100 filters to make the chrome goodies fit and so I didn't.