IGNORED

2005 RSTD Cruise Control problem

Guest jjf

Hello guys, great to be here, (first post).

I ran a search ... but unconclusive.

I use my uncle's 05 RSTD ... you know ... :whistling:... to keep motorcycle running for him.

I used the cruise control, then after a few moments, pressed cancel.

A few minutes later, I wanted to use the cruise control again, but, could not,

... the cancel button stayed pressed in. I was unable to get it to come back up.

(Cruise control light goes "On" on dash).

I do not have the Repair Manual (which I definitely want to get) to reference.

H E L P ... any suggestions would be grately appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Have had one of the buttons stick in but with a little effort got it to pop out - like it has some dirt in the clearances. Happened more than once but seems fine now. If it isn't stuck too bad might get it to pop out with the help of a pointed tool.

My 05 RSTD has a different problem with the cruise control. The symptoms:

1. the bike has to warm up for a few/many minutes before the set speed engages and takes control

2. if going about 20 kph (12 MPH) or more over the set point and engaged, then release the throttle, it coasts down right past the set point and disengages without taking control.

Seems temperature related. Is it faulty or a design feature? Any help would be appreciated. I will take it to my local dealer who has not figured it out yet.

I think i remember reading in the manual of my 85 1st gen that if you move the throttle 10miles an hour higher or lower than the set point it will automatically disengage the cruise. (BUt I dont have my manual right now to confirm this). I DO know that this is how my 85 works though.

Brian

Oops sorry bout the hijack JJF, i got focused on EFudds issue.

JFF,

I've had the same problem as efudd with my 2005 RSTD.

Got a small piece of debris stuck in the cancel button.

At first look, you could barely tell something was holding the cancel buton in... for some reason I decided to hit the cancel button again and discovered much more resistnence than there should have been.

Anyway dug out the foreign material, haven't had an issue since and its been a couple of years.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Thanks guys but, no, it's not that.

The "cancel" is pressed, yet the plastic is a bit loose, (no debris)

whatever is under the plastic is still "pressed" in

but again, thanks for tips

• 2 weeks later...

Efudd,

I have a 2005 RSTD as well. Same issue with cruise. I too (like Brian) recall something about the cruise shutting off of you accelerate over a certain amount from the prior setpoint. I believe its designed this way. I believe its stated in the manual somewhere.

Hope this helps.

Bob