IGNORED

Matching belt for new buckle

Dragonslayer

I went to Tandy today to get a belt blank to make a new belt for my new VentureRider.org belt buckle. I was asking about what kind of neutral stain I could use on the raw leather belt blank and buckle that would not harm the logo image on the belt buckle.

The leathersmith store owner was hesitant to recommend anything not knowing how the image is made on the belt buckle and suggested the safest methode to use would be direct sunlight.......................I said, "What"

He repeated, "direct sunlight". He then showed me several examples of raw leather exposed to direct sunlight over varying lengths of time and the darkening effect that sun light has on raw leather. Kinda like sun tanning the leather hyde. The direct light darkens and ages the leather somewhat and the aged color looks more like the tan leather riding, cowbow boots I just purchased a few weeks ago. I'm gonna give it a try.

Bob

I had some Acrylic Resolene by Fiebing's that I bought from Tandy several years ago. It is just to protect the leather and leaves it what ever color the leather is. I applied it to my new VR belt buckle and it just gave it kind of a nice shine. The graphics stand out a little better. When you get yours to the color you want you might try applying the Resolene for protection

Norm

I'd say that dog don't hunt !

Now if you are wanting to preserve the finish , there are many methods you may use . Just setting the leather out into the sunlight will in my opinion offset the color of the leather , not darken . More info. is needed about the leather . If it's a Tandy Brand , it's imported leather , none the least and more than likely turn red-ish in color as it set out into the sun . For a belt leather possible 7-8 0z. to 14-16 oz vegetable tanned leather . It could be skirting leather , tooling leather , strap leather or harness leather for example , each tanned respectively differently . A better quality leather will not turn red-ish in color , but more tan-ish . Herman Oak leather is a top quality leather , and higher in price .

Now if I knew what finish you used on the buckle (paint/dye) , I can give you more info. . But to say , I have use acrylics , oild dyes to spirit (acohol) dyes . Most you can use for a clear finish is called "Acrylic Resolene" . It's waterbased and you apply with a damp sponge . For a slightly dark finish , use "Leather Glow" and even darker "Highlighter" . All made by Feibings . Depending on how much darkness you want , apply lightly , wipe off and then let dry . For darker finish , repeat steps to desired finish .

If ya want , give me a call . I'd be more than happy to explain more about leather and finishes .

BEER30

DANG, Bob!

it must be nice to be "RICH"!!!!

after the hosing that we all took from Thom 440, i didn't think anyone except snarley bill, had any $$$$ left!

lol!

just jt:crackup::stickpoke:

$21.00 for the buckle $15.00 for the belt blank. $36.00 for a personlized belt with the VenturRider logo and my user ID name instead of $40.00 for an off the rack belt. I'm ok with dat.:mo money:

Now if you are wanting to preserve the finish , there are many methods you may use . Just setting the leather out into the sunlight will in my opinion offset the color of the leather , not darken . More info. is needed about the leather . If it's a Tandy Brand , it's imported leather , none the least and more than likely turn red-ish in color as it set out into the sun . For a belt leather possible 7-8 0z. to 14-16 oz vegetable tanned leather . It could be skirting leather , tooling leather , strap leather or harness leather for example , each tanned respectively differently . A better quality leather will not turn red-ish in color , but more tan-ish . Herman Oak leather is a top quality leather , and higher in price .

Now if I knew what finish you used on the buckle (paint/dye) , I can give you more info. . But to say , I have use acrylics , oild dyes to spirit (acohol) dyes . Most you can use for a clear finish is called "Acrylic Resolene" . It's waterbased and you apply with a damp sponge . For a slightly dark finish , use "Leather Glow" and even darker "Highlighter" . All made by Feibings . Depending on how much darkness you want , apply lightly , wipe off and then let dry . For darker finish , repeat steps to desired finish .

If ya want , give me a call . I'd be more than happy to explain more about leather and finishes .

BEER30

Beer30,

I will certainly defer to you as the leather finishing expert in this forum and do appreciate your expert guidance in this matter. The buckles look great and came out nice but I'm unsure what method was used to put the logo image on the surface. the buckle otherwise has a raw leather coloration.

I was hopeing to color the belt and buckle to match and hopefully match close to a pair of boots I have which is a light tan color. But being unsure how the image on the buckle is made I did not want to do anything that might destroy the image or overall appearance. I have no idea what type leather was used on the buckle or the belt so I would appreciate any expert opinion you might offer.

I seem to remember that somewhere in the post was mentioned that the maker used a laser setup to make the logo. Seemes like this came up when someone asked could it be made in black to match a pair of chaps.

Hope this helps

David

went back and found this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freebird viewpost.gif

I do like it but I don't wear that type belt. I would like to have one for my chaps but not sure about the brown buckle on my black chaps....hmmmmmmm

Don , Wayne tried to do it on black leather with white lettering but it did not work something to do with the laser he uses ?

Thom

BEER30

GENE, if i'm not mistaken, Thom told me it is a "laser" operation.

i would assume a type of "programmable BURNING" process, where the depth of burn is microscopic.

looks far better than ANY dye job i have ever done, or seen.

just jt