IGNORED

Problem with the side cover

Well that little piece of plastic that the rubber do dad attatches to actually bent on my bike.:headache: Lost one of those rubber grommets also. :doh:Anyone know if i can use pvc or cpvc glue on the inside of the cover. Im concerned that it may melt the plastic.I have one crack to repair and i can probably rig up somthing to act as a tab. Or can i get by and ride without the rubber thing. If ya got a spare grommet drop me a line.

There appears to be two different connection systems on the 1st gens. I have the tab and the rubber bungy type holder. I like this best. One of the side covers I got off ebay had the holder for the gromet and I just used that as a mounting point to put a tab on using Devcon Plastic Weld. You can get a two part tube of the Plastic Weld at Walmart for less than $3.

RandyA

Like Gearhead says... these parts are all ABS... marvelous stuff actually and there's plenty of ways to repair/reinforce it. PVC is quite a different animal all together.

The grommet is available from Yama$a but you can take one to your local car parts shop and probably come up with one for pennies.

That "ear" that the bungie hooks on CAN be beefed up. ABS will soften with carefull amounts of heat on the inside, SLOWLY heating it up, pushed into shape and let it cool slowly. I would STILL reinforce it... I'd use some thin layers of glass and epoxy on the inside.

The advantage with platex is that you can mold the part and will have the exact shape of the original if you have one in good shape to mold it.

Everything comes with the product. It dries really strong. I tried everything else before, and fiinishing on this is almost perfect

:cool10::cool10::cool10:

I had a pin break off the top part of the side cover on my '87. The grommet side was fine. The pin is molded on a square raised base on the cover. I drilled out the base where the pin used to be to fit a bolt, described next.

I then notched out the base (wider on the outside, narrower on the inside of the new hole) so that I could take a bolt of the same diameter of the pin and push it in so the head of the bolt slips under the base, between the base and the cover itself. If you notch the base correctly, so it narrows to less than the diameter of the bolt, it will retain the bolt and the space captivates the bolt head. A little filing on the bolt makes the bolt slip into the grommet easily enough with some friction. In my particular case, I left the threads pretty much intact so it gave enough grip that it does not move.

You could take the same approach with a larger bolt and file the lower shaft threads down more, making a bulb at the end emulating the orignal pin shape. Cheap and easy, small amount a labor.

Or you can replace the stud with a 10mm ball stud. Even easier. You may be able to find them at a Topper shop. If not, I still have a couple left from the last bulk order I submitted. If you need one or two, send me a PM.