IGNORED

This boot goes where?

I was putting things back together and saw this rubber boot on the ground... I've been in the left radio compartment, in and around the steering head, under and over the carbs and fuel pump and didn't see it ON something or see anything that looked like it needed it.

Ok guys, where does it go...

(1 1/4"L X 1"W X 3/8" high)

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/huh.jpg

Was that the thing floating in space in that 2010 movie? :)

Looks like maybe it goes over the end of a fuse holder or connector is at the end of a wire buncle. Maybe to protect it if there isn't anything hooked to it.

Did you add something taking up a connector that maybe this covered?

mike.

i went out and dug around on my '86.

your "mystery boot", is a cover for a soft rubber thing-a-majig, that is JUST forward and toward the LEFT side, directly behind the battery box. the little gizmo is a greenish blue color.

it has 4 wires coming out of it, but i don't know where they go , or what the danged part does.

if ya need a picture, let me know, while i have it all apart.

lol

just jt:backinmyday::fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo

found it in the tech section. squidley's cable upgrade. the red/white wire on the upper left of the wrench, is just touching the boot.

i think .

jt

Edited by hipshot

I think the "cupie doll" goes to Hipshot! Thanks John.

That "gizmo" feels like a medium hard, rubber "encasement" and the rubber boot fits it exactly. Mine has 5 wires, Black, Green, Blue/white, White/green and white... and I don't see anything at all in the manual with those combined wires... Oh wait, the diode assembly (#11)...? On page 7-17 in the service manual, under starter system, shows "DIODE" with those wires... five... and a clear picture of "our gizmo". Pay no attention that the main schematic on page 7-1 only shows 4 wires on the "diode assembly" and those are shown as blue/yellow, black/yellow, and two sky blue wires...???

I had my doubts at first since it feels rubbery but one side looked like some electronic leads were right at the side edge, just under the "surface" so a protective boot would be a perfect choice since it gets rather wedged up there, in front of the battery...

Still wondering just why the difference in the main schematic!

Thanks again Hipshot, I can rest easier... and yeah, I put a small piece of double-sided tape on the "gizmo" before I put the boot back on...

don't want to see it on the ground ever again.

Mike

Edited by mbrood

I think the "cupie doll" goes to Hipshot! Thanks John.

That "gizmo" feels like a medium hard, rubber "encasement" and the rubber boot fits it exactly. Mine has 5 wires, Black, Green, Blue/white, White/green and white... and I don't see anything at all in the manual with those combined wires... Oh wait, the diode assembly (#11)...? On page 7-17 in the service manual, under starter system, shows "DIODE" with those wires... five... and a clear picture of "our gizmo". Pay no attention that the main schematic on page 7-1 only shows 4 wires on the "diode assembly" and those are shown as blue/yellow, black/yellow, and two sky blue wires...???

I had my doubts at first since it feels rubbery but one side looked like some electronic leads were right at the side edge, just under the "surface" so a protective boot would be a perfect choice since it gets rather wedged up there, in front of the battery...

Still wondering just why the difference in the main schematic!

Thanks again Hipshot, I can rest easier... and yeah, I put a small piece of double-sided tape on the "gizmo" before I put the boot back on...

don't want to see it on the ground ever again.

Mike

so, Mike.

is my "prize" coming by U.S.Mail, or PONY EXPRESS"!?

YOU'RE WELCOME.

:backinmyday:just jt