I did my first oil change this week (2005 RSTD). I filled it to middle of the sight glass, started it to make sure the oil filter was full and checked it again. I had to pour a little more in to get it back to the middle.

The thing I have a question about is after I rode to work and back the next day, I looked at it again and it's all the way to the top of the sight glass.

Is this normal? Should I drain some out?

The way to check the oil is to be sure to let the bike sit for a few minutes (5 at least?) after it runs, before you check it. There is a lot of oil that is in the upper part, and it takes some time for it to drain back. You should not check the oil immediately after you shut it off for this reason.

Be sure it is on the center stand, and on level ground.

Best to check it cold.

I have a center stand, but the bike does not come with one. Before I put the center stand on the bike I would place the bike on the lift and use the lift to keep it upright. You can also have a buddy hold the bike upright while you check it.

I always change my oil with a fully warmed up engine. This does two things for you: first it gets the oil warm so it flows better, second it gets the warm oil circulating so that maximum sludge is carried out of the engine when you drain the oil. The other bonus is that the engine crankcase volume will change between warm and cold, so when you check it warm you are checking it closer to its operating condition. I've got 25,000 miles on my RSTD and the oil comes out looking almost as clean as it went in.

I commonly add a bit more oil after I fill it and run it. This is because some of the volume just added is now in the oil filter. I usually wait a few minutes for the new oil to drain back into the crankcase before I check it and add more. The filter should have an anti-drainback valve to keep oil in the filter. This prevents the oil pump from having to fill the filter up at every startup.

If your oil level is at the top of the window you may have a bit leak out from the re-breather. The tubes come down from the air filter housing and you can see some accumulate in the air filter housings. Some bikes do this more than others. I found I can have mine filled almost to the top of the site glass before it starts leaking out. The bike uses virtually no oil between changes so filling it only halfway up the sight glass is a pretty low risk way of keeping the oil from leaking out. I guess my point is your bike may not even leak. If you want to be sure just get the bike level, drain a bit of oil out until the oil comes about halfway up the sight glass when the bike is warm.

If I don't keep it up to the top line on the sight glass, the oil level light comes on under hard acceleration. Checked with mechanic and he said this is normal. The last time I had it tuned - I let them do the oil change too. He did the same and said he always runs them a little high. I have never seen any oil leak, but the end of the hose is a little smudgy looking.

There is a lot of oil that is in the upper part, and it takes some time for it to drain back. You should not check the oil immediately after you shut it off for this reason.

That makes sense. I was just wondering why it was reading higher now than right after it was changed.

Thanks guys.