IGNORED

Lubricating throttle cables

Anyone know how to do this on an 89? I find my throttle just a bit sticky and my cruise control seems to keep increasing, then suddenly really increase, and suddenly go right back down to where it should be. Perhaps lubricating would help get rid of this problem. Thoughts?

Anyone know how to do this on an 89? I find my throttle just a bit sticky and my cruise control seems to keep increasing, then suddenly really increase, and suddenly go right back down to where it should be. Perhaps lubricating would help get rid of this problem. Thoughts?

Just on the basis of the sticking throttle, I would lube all of them (do the choke cable too, while at it). I operate this way, if I can't remember when last time done, it's due to be done again.....

The two top cables from handle bar to the Throttle joint, fairly easy.

Open it up, and let oil gravity feed down slowly. But it will only run down to the

" throttle joint " Which is located, Under the Upper left fairing. ( You have to completly remove the fairing to get to it. ( sorry ) The " throttle joint ' assembly may need to be opend up and lubricated. I did that on mine at about 50K. It needed greese. But was not completly dry.

( see page 7-137 ) of the service manual.

The Two lower sections of cable, ( much shorter ) probably don't need lube.

Be sure to examine the " Pull Cable " at the lft Fwd carb for any sign of cable fraying.

However, carefully check the Linkage assembly parts that connect all 4 carbs together. Your problem might be some friction in the Linkage ( see page 2-12) of service manual.

Lubricate all those parts first. :thumbsup2:

You "can" get to the throttle junction box through the radio compartment... you still have to remove the mirror, pop the electronics out, pull the main plastic that mounts the speaker... pull the two bolts holding the amplifier assembly and then that inner "baffle" WILL come out... it's tight but I went in there and replaced my #3 cable... not much elbow room but enough to get in and get the job done.

I use a product called Dri Slide multi-purpose lubricant, it is a molybdenum disulfide in a a alcohol base. It comes in a bottle with a thin metal needle that you use to stick in the top of the cables and when it comes out the other end you let it dry. I have used this for many years and it wokks great. you can get it at most cycle shops:cool10: