IGNORED

Headlamp warning light

This symptom usually points toward a faulty "reserve lighting" element. That is what I would suspect. Is both low and high beam working? If both are, I would first try replacing the reserve lighting switch. That switching device went bad on my brother-in-laws 83 and that is all we had to do. I suppose you a faulty computer moniter as well. Someone else will soon chime in with other ideas maybe.

This symptom usually points toward a faulty "reserve lighting" element. That is what I would suspect. Is both low and high beam working? If both are, I would first try replacing the reserve lighting switch. That switching device went bad on my brother-in-laws 83 and that is all we had to do. I suppose you a faulty computer moniter as well. Someone else will soon chime in with other ideas maybe.

Put a different reserve lighting unit in same thing.

I would then consider re-sodering the connections on the computer moniter. There is a very good thread on that on this site; pictures and all. Removing the computer monitor isn't really a big deal but one must have at least some basic skills at sodering. Or you could always pick up another complete dash unit on ebay.

Herb

Actually from what I remember, the white "headlight" indicator is normally dimly lit, then on bright if you try selecting the failed beam, so the reserve unit is powering the standby so you have a headlight.

The CMS icon stays on all the time you have a failed bulb, whether or not you are using that beam or not.

Actually from what I remember, the white "headlight" indicator is normally dimly lit, then on bright if you try selecting the failed beam, so the reserve unit is powering the standby so you have a headlight.

The CMS icon stays on all the time you have a failed bulb, whether or not you are using that beam or not.

I second this.

Jeremy

Yes, that IS why. The reserve lighting unit looks for a specific currant draw, and if it is less, the circuitry does it's thing and lights the warning on the dash. You can either hang a couple of additional lights somewhere, or use those compensator resistors that are for turn signals when you switch over to led's...

I disagree. First, the tail light sensor won't light if only ONE bulb is bad, BOTH have to be bad to trigger it (at least that's how it works on my 87). Second, 2 bad bulbs or LEDs will trigger the tail light system with the flashing red light and an icon on the CMU, but NOT the white light by the hi-beam indicator, that's headlight only. Jimbob, if your white light it on VERY dimly, that's normal. If it's on bright (the difference is obvious when you see it), you either have a bad bulb or something wrong in the system.

Jeremy

Hmm...well...I dunno. Maybe I spoke out of turn. I can just tell you my experience with my 87. The headlight has always worked properly except when a bulb lost hi beam, and then the CMU and RLU worked as advertised. The white dash light behaves as I described. The only time it's not lit AT ALL is when the bike is off!

I've always found it a little odd that the white light is dimly lit at all times, but then Neil here mentioned the same thing as being normal. Ultimately it comes down to this - is your headlight working? Personally, I find the whole alert and RLU system to be a bit overcomplicated and ridiculous. If my bike loses a beam, I know it! And I can switch to the other beam with a flick of my thumb.

There's my 2 cents!

Jeremy