IGNORED

Tire Balancing suggestions?

curt99rsv

I just recieved my Avons this week & picked up my tire changer/mc adapter. How about some suggestions or better yet, pictures of how you balance the tires once you get them mounted? I've had a couple of suggestions but some pics would help.

Thanks,

Curt

Well, I have no pics and this is not my original idea, it's out there in great detail on the web somewhere. But it's so simple you don't need pics. I now mount and balance all my own tires since reading the aforementioned article - mounting is a little trouble, but not balancing. Here's the short version:1) Set up 2 identical buckets (kitty litter buckets work well) or sawhorses, etc, side-by-side.2) Remove the old wheel weights.3) Put the axle through the wheel and support each end of the axle on one of the buckets so that the tire spins freely in the middle. In a friction-free world, you could just find the high spot and add weights, but...4) Bearing and seal friction will prevent the heavy spot from dropping freely, so you have to break that friction. Light, repeated action on the axle will do that. I put a small wrench on the end of the axle, or a screwdriver through the hole if present, and lightly and quickly wiggle it back and forth. You will see the heavy spot drop. 5) Repeat a couple times to check for consistency.6) Try a weight on the light spot and see how it acts.7) This is an iterative process - it helps to have a few old weights around, sometimes you have to file some weight off, etc. Play with it until it is right.8) Only add weights to one spot, unless the light spot is in line with a spoke, in which case you may have to add a little on either side of the spoke.9) I call it good when there is no distinct heavy spot - the wheel ends up in random orientations - or the heavy spot is VERY slight. I've had good luck with several changes now.Jeremy

Gearheads response is great. For supports, I've heard that jack stands work well. The keep the wheel from rolling off the support due to the saddle on the jack stand.

Keep some chalk or soapstone handy to mark the tire.

Avon tires don't have a red dot that marks the heavy spot on the tire. That is how well they are made. That means any imbalance will be due to your wheel.