IGNORED

Shift Pedal Bolt Size -- 05' RSTD

I was cruising down the freeway and when I went to downshift the shift pedal was laying on my floorboard. I got home and it looks like the threads are fine but the bolt is long gone. Does anyone know the size of the bolt that should go in there? I checked my service manual but it doesn't say anything about the bolt size and my local dealers parts page says it's a "special screw". Thanks!!

For fast relief,,,,

TAKE ONE OF THE DUMMY BOLTS OF YOUR SIDE COVER. (been there)

On each side cover, the forward bolt will fit just fine and keep you on the road till you can get the official bolt from your dealer. Those two forward bolts are just for looks,,, or spare bolt(?).

And when you get that high dollar bolt, use Loctite on it.

Mike G

Oh, sorry Jonesy,,, we were posting at same time.

Edited by Mike G in SC

Thanks Guys … I took the forward one off and put in on. It will get me around tomorrow and then Monday I'll go by and get the bolt and some lactate.

Jay, just guessing, your dealer may need to order it.

Seems like that bugger was north of $10, so he did not stock it.

If you got a distance to the dealer, might call it in.

(don't use lactate if you have a cat)

Mike G

Mike G

:rotf::rotf:

Yes, use Loctite. The BLUE Loctite, not the red.

Interesting you posting this. I was in the shop yesterday and finished a couple of bike projects. Noticed a nylon washer laying on the table left over from the bag of nuts and bolt purchased from the hardware store. Couldn't remember why I bought it. Now I do. Want to put the washer behind the bolt to see if the shifter could be more steady. Seems to slop around too much.

RR

Seems to be a known problem with the RSTD and RSV's where the shifter bolt loosen's up. Had the same thing happen to me while on a trip in Tenn. Stopped by a local dealer and found that the "special bolt" was a special order item. But they found a bolt that would till I got home. Went to Bike Bandit's webpage and found the bold under the Transmission section for my 2004 RSV .. Just checked that site and it is listed for $2.77 and the washer was $2.28 plus shipping.. Hope that helps.

Ha Ha! The autocorrect on my Mac thinks it knows more than I do. I had told it twice I wanted loctite but it decided against that.

Jay, just guessing, your dealer may need to order it.

Seems like that bugger was north of $10, so he did not stock it.

If you got a distance to the dealer, might call it in.

Mike G

:rotf::rotf:

Yes, use Loctite. The BLUE Loctite, not the red.

Interesting you posting this. I was in the shop yesterday and finished a couple of bike projects. Noticed a nylon washer laying on the table left over from the bag of nuts and bolt purchased from the hardware store. Couldn't remember why I bought it. Now I do. Want to put the washer behind the bolt to see if the shifter could be more steady. Seems to slop around too much.

RR

I noticed the same thing when I put mine back together last night. I found a thick plastic washer from some other project and put in behind the bolt and it got rid of most of the slop. I will be trying to find a nylon washer that is a bigger diameter than the shaft the shifter sits on so it will make it nice and tight.