IGNORED

A yamaha problem I can't believe

I posted a few months ago about a problem my friend in having with his 07 RSV. We were riding and his temp and oil light came on and the radio went off. You could put your ear toward the front of the engine and it sounded like the starter was still engaged. You could switch the bike on and move the kill switch to on and the bike would start. Took bike to dealer and they replaced the solenoid switch which corrected the problem but the radio wouldn't work. Dealer ordered a new radio/amp from yamaha who ordered from Clarion. Dealer installed new radio, and charged my friend $1,900. Bike worked fine. Last month my friend and I were on a trip to tennessee and we stopped to fill up. Went to start bike and it wouldn't start and heat and oil light on again and radio wouldn't work. Had to switch the ignition on and I had to push the bike to start. My friends son is good at automotive electrical so he has been helping troubleshoot. They started at the rear of the bike and checked every wire. They would work for 3 or 4 hours and get frustrated and back off for a few days. Last night they had checked all wiring up to the gas tank. They removed the tank and found the wire from the starter is split with one wire going to the radio and one to the stater. They couldn't find anything wrong so the son suggested disconnecting the radio. When you disconnect the radio bike starts and works fine. I have never heard of such. Any ideas. Also, the new radio doesn't work.

I think I mentioned this to you in a previous thread of the issue your friend was having....there is a blue/white wire from audio that goes to starter circuit cutoff relay...when trying to crank engine, this wire grounds and audio is muted (guessing to save power).

okay, revisited wiring diagram...it ties in between the SCCR and starter button...

pushing starter button grounds both.

When you say radio doesn't work....does display come on but no sound or nothing?

Where did they disconnect radio?

Hey Neil86

The radio display come on. You can change the channels, volume etc but there is no sound. All the wires that provide power were disconnected. The wires with the big plugs on the end that we clean and put dilectric grease on weren't disconnected. The oil and temp light don't come on with the radio disconnected.