IGNORED

SQUEAKY brakes resolved

Everyone knows that the brakes on a Venture and Road Star sound like hell after a while.. noisy, metal on metal noise and no matter what you do, the dealer tells you it's normal and you learn to live with it..

Mine was making that noise and it really bothered me to the point that I would not use the front brakes when pulling into a crowder parking lot..

I took someone's advice and attempted to use some squeal remover compound behind the brake shim but ran into a problem where one of the 4 retainers looked damaged.. (there are 2 per caliper on which the brake pad shoulders slide back and forth across, sorry can't remember the proper nomenclature).. However, the part looked like it was making contact with the disk.. When I put everything back together again, the sound was even worse but you could actually see how it was cutting into the disk now.

So I ordered new ones.. at $20 each.. sheeesh!! hopefully gold plated but no.. Anyway, long story short, new pads, new shims, and new clips and the front brakes are quieter than a squished bug on your windshield. Most likely a combo of new shims and pads..

However, if your brakes are making more than the normal amount of noise, give these parts a look-see.. you never know..

Cheers

I dunno, it must be me.. But I suffer from the "things falling off your bike" curse.. You'd think I rode a harley..

People who wash their bikes sometimes do it for alterior motives.. It not only keeps your bike clean but it also allows you to be hands on with many parts of your bike to check for loseness and so on..

Coming off the highway yesterday I couldnt downshift because my shifter was not where it should have been.. it can come off the stud and sitting behind on my floorboards.. Ooops, that's not gonna be fun.. But I managed to pull in and through the lights into a parking lot while in 5th gear. The bolt holding the shifter on had decided to be one with nature and flew off.. Luckily, a Hyundai dealer across the street was able to fix me up with a sutiable replacement part, lock washer and all.. at no cost.. (Nice people, I wrote their manager a nice thank you note.)

Tonight whilst installing the Polk speakers, I checked for every bolt and screw again for looseness and sure enough, a lot of the rear trunk and guard installation bolts were loose.. Gees, go figure, I might have found the main cause of my vibes.. Once I got some Blue on the bolts and tightened everything down, I'm just now waiting on the weather to test this all out..

So.. Just a PSA about bolts and things that fly off your bike.. Know your bike, be one with your bike and periodically check your bolts..

I dunno, it must be me.. But I suffer from the "things falling off your bike" curse.. You'd think I rode a harley..

People who wash their bikes sometimes do it for alterior motives.. It not only keeps your bike clean but it also allows you to be hands on with many parts of your bike to check for loseness and so on..

Coming off the highway yesterday I couldnt downshift because my shifter was not where it should have been.. it can come off the stud and sitting behind on my floorboards.. Ooops, that's not gonna be fun.. But I managed to pull in and through the lights into a parking lot while in 5th gear. The bolt holding the shifter on had decided to be one with nature and flew off.. Luckily, a Hyundai dealer across the street was able to fix me up with a sutiable replacement part, lock washer and all.. at no cost.. (Nice people, I wrote their manager a nice thank you note.)

Tonight whilst installing the Polk speakers, I checked for every bolt and screw again for looseness and sure enough, a lot of the rear trunk and guard installation bolts were loose.. Gees, go figure, I might have found the main cause of my vibes.. Once I got some Blue on the bolts and tightened everything down, I'm just now waiting on the weather to test this all out..

So.. Just a PSA about bolts and things that fly off your bike.. Know your bike, be one with your bike and periodically check your bolts..

that is the price one pays, for riding a 2ND GEN!

might as well have bought a harley!:doh:

lol

just jt

that is the price one pays, for riding a 2ND GEN!

might as well have bought a harley!:doh:

lol

just jt

1St Gen Snob.. sheeesh!!

No worries, I just realized that this was supposed to be a seperate thread but didn't make it to the new side.. Hmm go figure.. :)

The bolts on the side covers are the same as the one holding the shifter on, I am thinking it takes a 6mm allen. Also, it is not a bid idea to put a drop of lock tite on that bolt.

I'm actually going to leave that Hyundai part on the bike.. it looks OK and I know it isn't going anywhere with the lock washer in place =)

I did a 500 mile highway / back roads combo trip this past weekend after having retightened everything loose on this bike and wow, what a difference that makes. It doesn't take much to start a vibe anywhere.. nice.