IGNORED

oil leak, also CLASS oddity

Hi all, recently did some light overhauling on my 86'. I had been pursuing the evasive left side oil leak. Changed the pushrod seal, stator cover gasket (and stator), middle grear cover gasket. Took it around the block and immediately had a leak under the middle gear cover. Took the cover off and everything was clean. Pushrod area, gear switch, stator wires, etc. Leak is tiny but it's getting onto the collector and stinks light crazy. After a short 10 mile jaunt today I noticed oil is leaking from behind the #1 cylinder cover thing (thing with the lines, decorative looking), down into the slave cyl area. I haven't taken it off yet but am wondering what's behind there? Oil is clearly coming from there as this is my first ride since cleaning the crap out of it.

The other strange thing that started happening recently is, after shutoff, the solenoid (or valve, switch, some clicky thing) for the compressor clicks and about 30-40 second intervals for about 5 minutes. Not losing any air in the rear shock. Have I just never noticed this before? Don't use the front fork air with progressives and I could never get the collar sealing thing back on so they don't hold air anyway.

I'd also like to send a public Thank you! to Gary Dinges for the TCI. Great instructions, packaging and the install was cake. Works awesome! Thanks Gary and all the incredible support in this forum!

John

So, I noticed the oil is coming out of that giant plug next to the spark plug (oil leakage and my twice run new spark plug boot covered in oil mist). I tried to losen it and it wouldn't budge. Mega, mega tight. Started to round off the plug. What is this plug? Thanks!

Hi all, recently did some light overhauling on my 86'. I had been pursuing the evasive left side oil leak. Changed the pushrod seal, stator cover gasket (and stator), middle grear cover gasket. Took it around the block and immediately had a leak under the middle gear cover. Took the cover off and everything was clean. Pushrod area, gear switch, stator wires, etc. Leak is tiny but it's getting onto the collector and stinks light crazy. After a short 10 mile jaunt today I noticed oil is leaking from behind the #1 cylinder cover thing (thing with the lines, decorative looking), down into the slave cyl area. I haven't taken it off yet but am wondering what's behind there? Oil is clearly coming from there as this is my first ride since cleaning the crap out of it.

The other strange thing that started happening recently is, after shutoff, the solenoid (or valve, switch, some clicky thing) for the compressor clicks and about 30-40 second intervals for about 5 minutes. Not losing any air in the rear shock. Have I just never noticed this before? Don't use the front fork air with progressives and I could never get the collar sealing thing back on so they don't hold air anyway.

I'd also like to send a public Thank you! to Gary Dinges for the TCI. Great instructions, packaging and the install was cake. Works awesome! Thanks Gary and all the incredible support in this forum!

John

what push rod SEAL? If that's the clutch push rod seal you speak of.. It REQUIRES THE CASES SPLIT. Any other way likely will leak. Or do you mean shift shaft seal? The vertical line cover(s) is covering a coolant plug. Once you remove the cover. You MUST replace the plug due to age. Are you sure it's oil ?

So, I noticed the oil is coming out of that giant plug next to the spark plug (oil leakage and my twice run new spark plug boot covered in oil mist). I tried to losen it and it wouldn't budge. Mega, mega tight. Started to round off the plug. What is this plug? Thanks!

I think you may have oil dripping from air box getting on that plug.. That's a coolant plug. Don't remove it.