IGNORED

Passing lamp switch

My 96 Royal has passing lamps. Looking at the owner's manual, there is supposed to be a switch located somewhere in or around the left handlebar control. I assume it is supposed to be a momentary switch that only turns the lights on when the switch is pushed and held? Is this switch part of the control housing, or is it mounted externally? Whoever mounted the lights on the bike added a toggle switch to the left light housing. I can't even reach the switch unless I stand in front of the bike. Can anyone post pictures of the proper switch for me? Anyone know of a source for it?

I have never seen one that uses a momentary switch. I also don't know what kind of switch, if any, was provided with the lights for that particular model. I know that the RSV comes with a push button switch that stays on or off when you press it. It is no momentary. It is recommended that they be wired so that they come on with the low beam and go off with the high beam. You use the switch to turn them off if you don't want them to come on at all. I didn't want mine wired that way so I wired them so that they are on when the switch is on, regardless of whether the low or high beam is on.

My brother had a 96 and I had a 98 Royals, both had the toggle switch on the left driving light. I put a set on my 02 Roadie and they came with the toggle switch also. My brother bought a 06 Stratoliner and the passing lamps had a switch on the handle bar.

I also have a 96 RS. It has the toggle switch on the right light. It appears to have come that way from the factory. The lights are on all the time (low or high beam) unless you turn the toggle off. I can reach mine from the saddle if I'm at a stop. I wouldn't try to reach that far while riding.:178:

• 2 weeks later...

I found mine on the left light housing. It was broke off. I rewired and added a relay and switch. I mounted the switch on a home made bracket that I bolted to the top clutch perch clamp bolt. The end of the switch sticks out from the left control housing just enough to turn it on and off with the tip of my finger. Here is a picture of it.