I just finished synching the carbs on my '09 RSTD. It only has 400 or so miles on it. I wanted to do it to learn as well as the fact that people on the board stated that it can be off from the factory.

I used the Carbtune to do it. Unfortunately I bought it from a place in California before I noticed some posts about buying it from the manufacturer to take advantage of the exchange rate. Just goes to show what a wealth of knowledge the board is and maybe post a question before making a purchase.

In any case I want to thank Freebird for posting the instructions and pics on how to do this. For those that are reticent about doing something like this don't be it is so simple it is not even funny. A pox and shake of the fist to the dealers that charge $85 for this. If the Stealers were smart they would give away something like this to get you into the store to buy more farkle.

Literally the hardest part of this job was getting the hose off because it was kind of stuck and it is hard to get your fingers in the small space to get a good grip. I ended up using a screwdriver blade to push the end of the hose while pulling at the same time. I think i will put a dab of boy butter (silicone grease) on the nipples to make it easier next time.

The other hard part was figuring out exactly where to put the Carbtune. I have my bike in a wheel chock to keep it upright so the handle bars are straight putting near the grips made it too far away for the hoses to reach the opposite side. I happened to have the seat off so I put it in that area. I was also worried about the hoses melting if they contact the pipes but that did not seem to be an issue. Another thing about the Carbtune, at least the one I have, is that one of the rods will stick if it is not mostly vertical. That is an important check the rods will bounce when the engine is running so make sure all 4 are bouncing.

I ended not taking a before shot because I am bad like that. But I did get an after. The pairs were close to each other but the sides were off a bit. Get knee pads when you do this to save your knees.

The first thing I did was get my long screw driver to make sure I could reach the screws. Even though I knew where to look it was kind of hard to pick them out at first. The one that does the one side to the other was like trying to find Waldo.

Anyway here is an after pic. Thanks to the guys that post info to make things like this easy to figure out.

David.

You won't get it much closer than that.

I Agree. Eventually you have to to a point and realize any more adjusting will not get it any closer. Otherwise you can spend all day trying to get it perfect. you have 3 variables so any change in one will change the others a little. you just have to get them close and realize that any more fiddling will just get you back where you are.