IGNORED

Need help finding saddlebag bolt

I was going to take the saddlebags off my bike so I could give it a good cleaning. When I went to take the saddlebag off the left side (sitting on the bike it is the left bag) the bolt on the top left wouldn't come loose. I broke the allen wrench trying to get the bolt out. After several attempts the bolt head is rounded off. Looking at the diagram for an 05 venture I can't determine which bolt this is. Can any of you tell me the number of this bolt? Also, how can I get this bolt out now that the head is rounded off? Thanks for your help.

I had the same problem on the same side. I took a dremel-type tool and cut edges on the head of the allen bolt where I could get a pair of vise-grips on it to loosen it. Then I replaced it with a hex bolt. You could also possibly cut a groove across it for a screwdriver. If I'm not mistaken it's a 6mm bolt. Not sure about the length though.

Hope this helps.

Curt

Some where on this site is a post for a quick release kit to replace the stock bolts with knobs to keep things tidy with the saddle bags. I looked but couldn't find it,maybe before the crash. I bought the "kit" and it sure makes things a lot easier when removing the bags. I'm at work now, will try to locate the vendor or the site when I get home.

This was posted by Buddyrich back when, under "quick release saddle bag". Kike I said earlier this kit makes things alot easier not to mention no more stripped or rounded out screw tops. Some thought it was pricey but it is worth it in my book. Good luck !!

www.Mcmaster.com Thanks to RodSD for the tip on where to purchase these. You can go to Mcmaster and do a search on the part number to get a view

Pics below You can get by with the next size down on length on item2. You will need some RED loctite to put the knob on the stud. The longer ones are for the back-upper bolt

2 each 60765K332 Metric Steel Knurled Rim Knob, M6 X 1 Threaded Hole, 25 Mm Diameter

2 each 93210A018 Metric Black-Oxide Finish Steel Setup Stud, Round Shank, M6 Size, 80MM Length, 1MM Pitch

6 each 6390K52 Metric Phenolic Four-Arm Knob, M6 X 1 Threaded Stud, 32MM Dia, 30 Mm Stud Length

Order these parts and place the round cap on the long bolts and the star caps on the short bolts. Use red locktite to secure the caps to the bolts and enjoy the simplicity of taking them off when you need to.

McMaster-Carr.com

93210A017 METRIC BLACK−OXIDE FINISH STEEL SETUP STUD,

ROUND SHANK, M6 SIZE, 65MM LENGTH, 1MM PITCH 2 0 6.76

EA 2 EA 3.38

60765K332 METRIC STEEL KNURLED RIM KNOB, M6 X 1

THREADED HOLE, 25 MM DIAMETER 0 5.90

EA 2 EA 2.95

6390K52 METRIC PHENOLIC FOUR−ARM KNOB, M6 X 1

THREADED STUD, 32MM DIA, 30 MM STUD LENGTH

EA 6 EA 1.92

Quad B in Vicksburg, MS

I'm going the cheaper route making me some tonight . I got the hex head equilant bolts and 1" stainless steel split key rings . Drill a hole partial way on each side of the hex head on the opposite sides , cut the key rings in half between the two ends as this will make 2 rings . Spread the rings enough to place each end of the split ring into each hole drilled on each side . The rings should lay down flat and not stick up grabbing saddle bag liners or other obsticles and provide a little bit room . All you would have to do is lift up the rings to grasp and turn . Spec's say you only need to torque 4.7 ft. lbs to tighten . I got all these items at Lowes Hardware under $7.00 .

My dealer's service dept. just over tightened all of my bolts and caused me to strip one out . They wanted to blame me , but they were barking up the wrong tree ! :rotf::rotf:

Gene

Thanks to all of you that replied to my request for help with saddlebag bolts. Yesterday I ordered the bolts from McMaster-Carr and just received them from UPS. I just knew that had charged me for overnight delivery but the invoice shows only $4.25 for shipping. Again thanks to all of you for your help. I'm always amazed at the quality of people on this site. Eddie Hall

• 3 months later...
Guest dave brady
I was going to take the saddlebags off my bike so I could give it a good cleaning. When I went to take the saddlebag off the left side (sitting on the bike it is the left bag) the bolt on the top left wouldn't come loose. I broke the allen wrench trying to get the bolt out. After several attempts the bolt head is rounded off. Looking at the diagram for an 05 venture I can't determine which bolt this is. Can any of you tell me the number of this bolt? Also, how can I get this bolt out now that the head is rounded off? Thanks for your help.

I USED A CUTOFF TOOL ON MY DREMEL AND THEN USED VICEGRIPS AND DEALER HAS NEW ONE