IGNORED

For those who find a chirping in the top end... a heads up observation.

The MKI Venture is known for " chirping ".  There are lots of opinions and locations for the various chirps.

The speedo cable chirps, the clutch chirps and some folks find a chirp from - who knows where...   I think I found the answer for one source of the noise.  A few years ago I adjusted the valves on my '83 and was surprised at how out of spec they were.  I dutifully followed the clearances in the manual and put about 260 miles on the bike.  The motor had a screaming chirp at 3500 rpm and it was audible other rpm's as well. Then "stuff" got in the way of riding for a couple years.  Now I'm back.  I was never happy with the chirping sound and went back to the manual and my notes and gave them a good inspection.   I decided to redo my valve adjustment to see if somehow I screwed it up.  Got the covers off and all was as I set it.  So where did the chirping around 3500 rpm come from ?  Did I have a plugged oil line or something ?   I went back to the valve clearance tables and suddenly I saw it.  The intake valve clearances are looser than the exhaust valve clearances in my factory manual.  Really ?  I checked on line for later models and this is not the case.  So in my YAMAHA Factory Manual the intake and exhaust clearances are reversed.  I redid the whole thing and POOF, all the chirping is gone.  It also explains one common thing I see on engines offered for sale on e-bay where they explain that the compression is bad on an engine with only 40K miles.  If you've got a chirp from the top end, check your valves .  Just a head's up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1