IGNORED

lowering my 87

This is my 6th first gen,8th venture overall.The second gen seat was lower, just didnt like the bike.This is of course not the first time i have had this problem.My legs are just too short.On my others i tried to wear boots with taller heels but most of the time i am just wearing sneakers.I lean on the left leg at lights, can never flatfoot the bike.The first gen seats are so comfortable, i hate to try and modify one.By removing some foam i might lower the bike by an inch.Then it needs reupholstering.Mine does anyway. But i dont want to have a wonderful seat become an uncomfortable one. I saw that barons made lowering kits for the second gen bikes.Rider reviews were not all that great.Lower is not the only goal.Apparently the kit made handling more of a chore at certain speeds.First I have to rig up some forward controls.I have a plan for that. But in the driveway, turning the bike aroud, or sitting at a redlight, the bike is just too dang tall.I hate to think about changing the front springs, that would take a jillion things to be removed.And the back a caliper relocation, removing the saddlebags and axle, all part of the chore. Always before i just grinned and bore it.These bikes are not really made for intown riding. I got the bike yesterday and the seller rode it from his driveway to the trailer since he had a gravel driveway.But he was 6ft 5 and 300 pounds.It fit him good.All suggestions appreciated.

Being inseam challenged and having put 150,000 miles on my 83, the best thing that I did was pick up a Corbin seat that had a tear for cheap. I then scooped out a lot of foam and had it reupholstered. Not only was it lower, but much more comfortable on the hiway, especially with some hiway pegs.

Randy

Had my 87 seat redone by Rick Butler, he narrowed the nose of the seat and also took out foam to sculpt a deeper bucket for lack of a better term. It helped some, but like you I only would put my left foot down on most stops. I also remember someone on here going with a lower profile tire. The seat work by Rick probably lowered me 1.5" Had the bike for a few years, I never dropped it but I never really felt comfortable on it either. I went with a 2006 RSV with a Corbin seat, could flatfoot no problem.

Good luck, Craig

I know rick.ive been to his house twice.he did my 99 and 01 seat.i haven't owned a first gen since 2003 except for the 3 parts bikes and they werent rideable.im glad the CLASS works on this one.the back was pressured to 44.i decreased to 29.front is 11.amazind difference.im very surprised.i cant flatfoot it but im not doing ballet style now either.im not sure how low i can go and still have suspension.

Well then you have 2 other options, find a girlfriend about 6'5" with legs that go on forever and have her put her feet down at stops. My wife wouldnt go for that, so I went with option #2 a trike:thumbsup:

Craig